Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I also found this very pretty picture one for anyone else doing XP, but like I said i want to look into making all the changes on samba - but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

I also found this very pretty picture one for anyone else doing XP, but like I said i want to look into making all the changes on samba - but this may not be possible, it seems winXP wont recognize a NT 4.0 PDC which is what samba pretends to be - maybe a new version of samba will fix this.

http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netad...9069001,00.htm
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Enthusiast
    Dude, once can be overlooked, but this is the second thread you called him gentee in. Isn't it spelled genlee?
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux User
    happy? sheesh? gentee reminds me of gentoo...
    majorwoo

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Haha, on irc I get called gentoo a lot. Anyway why would anyone use xp in a production enviroment? If you have to, use samba 3.0. I think that has the fixed for xp though I am not 100% sure on that. I have used that at my one of my other jobs and it is stable plus it has active directory support.

Linux User
    well im not using XP at work yet, but the school my research dept is affiliated with is making the move this summer (they say) and that means not long afterwards we may have to... And outside of that microsoft is shutting down support for 98, ME and 2k pre sp3 and once you install sp3 on 2k you might as well go to XP

snyesy, i sm plsying with it at home (yes i have a full blown enterprise server on a 1ghz p3 at home) -- obviously i got it workking with the registry mods but like I said i would rather not do that - however I would also rather wait until the 3.0 branch os samba is a little stabler before i do put it in a production environment...

Now having said all of that I might in april get to drop all microsoft and move to 99% linux, ( i may have to keep office through crossover as open office just isnt there yet) but when office 11 comes out and isn't backwards compatible it won't matter anyhow

bottom line? i need to spend some time helping the samba guys or something
    majorwoo

Linux Engineer
    What is wrong with open office? Anything you can do in ms office you can basicly do in open office. Run open office on a windows machine and compare them to each other. They are pretty much identical.

Linux User
    yeah, but when you have 60yr old execs that all they do is excel and word documents back and forth between them and their friends, things done come up formatted exactly as they do in word so they are not happy - if my boss writes a 4million dollar proposal to some joe, and my boss wrote it in OO and when joe opens it in word and the formatting is off - that's a big no no
    majorwoo

Linux Engineer
    Hmm, whenever I import/export .doc files, the formatting doesn't change at all. All my resumes were written in OO and saved as a .doc. I was worried about thie formatting as well and checked it with my friends ms office. The formatting was identical as to what it was in OO. I'm not sure if you had any problems with this or not.

Linux User
    ill have to play with it some more, have you used extensive tables/charts/bullets in it?
    majorwoo

Linux Engineer
    I did use bullets in my resume and were converted correctly. I have not used any tables or charts though. I imagine that it will do that correctly as well. It came from sun so it can't be that bad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast