Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Well I figured it wouldnt be long until someone had XP going, and about 5 minutes after that it won't work right, and I will have to support it - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

XP rewrites MBR by defaut.. M$ POS

Well I figured it wouldnt be long until someone had XP going, and about 5 minutes after that it won't work right, and I will have to support it - so I figured I'd toss it on one of my home PC's and go from there.

The POS actually overwrote my MBR.... how rude! Even 2k didn't do that...

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that, I mean it's not like I didn't just put it back, but it's more the fact that in a marketplace moving more towards linux/dual booting MS actually took a step the other way. Combine this with their dropping support for 98/ME and anything less the 2k SP3 or XP, and the new office 11 NOT being backwards compatable and we may seriously be looking at the beginning of the end... I mean office works great under crossover for those who wont use openoffice - in april we may drop windows altogether at work, even our office boys... wouldn't that make my life easy?

Anyhow, second XP complaint, it wouldn't let me join the domain(served by samba), said the account was unrecognized, even though if i entered a bad password it said bad password - so it WAS recognized, just something else.. anyhow, that's tomorrow work
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Engineer
    All windows installations by default overwrite the mbr. Anyway did you remember to add the machine name on your samba server?

Linux User
    yeah i have been told that, but win2k did not for me several times, so i thought maybe it didnt overwrite but updated it.

and yes, the machine accoutn exisits - the same machine worked fine under 2k, i just formattec the partition and dumped XP on
    majorwoo

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Well is the xp install using the same machine name that your win2k install used?

Linux User
    yes, and if it wasnt i would expect a machine name error, saying it cant find an account for me on the domain.

Like I said if i use root to join the domain it says invalid user, but if i use an invalid password - so it does recognize the user, something else is hanging it up.
    majorwoo

Linux Guru
    Try ethereal.

Linux User
    just an update, havent had time to look at it - but when i installed XP on my wifes machine when i tried joinging the domain i was told the user (root) doesnt have permission to join the domain...

must be something i need to change on samba to work with XP as my old win2k setups worked fine

ill let you guys now when i get it up, pry not today
    majorwoo

Linux Engineer
    http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/samba-pdc.html#xp

You probably need to make those changes to the reg for it to work

Just Joined!
    Josh,

I'm sure you looked at this, but just wondering. Make sure that the file system matches. For example, when I was in FL, I had a network of Win2K in NTFS, so my shares were setup as NTFS, but when I moved to NY, my mom's computer has ME/2K dual booting in FAT32, and my SAMBA shares weren't working. I simply changed the FS type and it worked.

Just thought I would put that out for you.

Tithefug

Linux User
    genlee - seeing as I have not done that i would imagine that will solve the problem, however i would prefer to dig around some and have samba fully emulate a windows server - or else i have to make that change to every machine as I do XP - and that seems to be the backwards way to do it, you know?

Joe - um, what are you talking about? Maybe one of us is confused, i can access the samba shares just fine, but my XP machines are unable to join the domain (and in doing so get their name/passwords from the server) - so this means i have to make accounts on each machine locally, which is a total pain in the a*s
    majorwoo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast