Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just have a quick question.... Do i have to install Apache/MySQL/PHP with the source and compile them individually, or can i just install the rpm's ? In every tutorial ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Apache/MySQL/PHP

I just have a quick question....
    Do i have to install Apache/MySQL/PHP with the source and compile them individually, or can i just install the rpm's ?
    In every tutorial i found it has me compiling the sources, and when i talked to someone in #MySQL on IRC and guy told me to just install the rpm's and everything would be fine...
    Is this true ?

Thanks X10000

triki

:o

Only one way to find out.
    I always install those programs from source and that works fine.
    I am sure I have installed it once from the redhat cds, thus using RPM.
    I am sure it takes care of everything but you still need to enable the services with chkconfig so they load at boot time
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Just Joined!

Re: Installing Apache/MySQL/PHP

Quote Originally Posted by triki
    I just have a quick question....
    Do i have to install Apache/MySQL/PHP with the source and compile them individually, or can i just install the rpm's ?
    In every tutorial i found it has me compiling the sources, and when i talked to someone in #MySQL on IRC and guy told me to just install the rpm's and everything would be fine...
    Is this true ?

Thanks X10000

triki

:o
    Hmm there are source rpm's. So that should not the problem I guess. It's much more stabile to compile sources at your machine because they are optimized for your memory and processor.

Of course also the binary rpm's will work fine, but might be a bit less stable then compiling stuff..

Hope this helps,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close