Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just downloaded, and installed Red Hat Linux 8.0. The reason why, is because of the new Graphical interface. I liked what I saw on the little video on their ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why can't I see anything?

I just downloaded, and installed Red Hat Linux 8.0. The reason why, is because of the new Graphical interface. I liked what I saw on the little video on their site. So I decided to download it, and see what I could do. Well, I went through the entire installation process. Rebooted, and Just like my version of SuSe Linux 6.2. It was basically a DOS screen. And, of course, I know that it is not DOS. I downloaded all 5 ISOs, and I only needed 2 for the personal desktop installation. It asked me types of question about the UI, and I did everything right (at least I think I did). Is there something wrong with the installation of Linux? Did I just miss something? Or what? Help would truly be appreciated. Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    Yeah, you forgot to install KDE or GNOME. Either of these are the GUI packages. They make it look like it did on the website. Oh, and when you say "I think I did everything right" but give us no hints as to what you think was right it doesn't help. It is like saying "My car didn't start, I tried fixing it, but can't, what's wrong?"
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    Would it be possible that you didn't choose graphical login?
    Log in as root on the console (the DOS like screen), and run these diagnostics:
    If "rpm -q libgnome" returns that libgnome isn't installed, then you missed out to install gnome, like wassy said. I don't know what the KDE counterpart is, so I guess you might still have that one installed.
    Then try running "telinit 5". If you get to the graphical login manager, then you just missed out to check graphical login when you installed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    The first time I installed Linux. I installed 3 GUIs. Gnome, KDE, and Windows X (or whatever its called). I installed it 3 more times. I installed it with only Gnome, I installed it only with KDE, and I installed it only with Windows X. All three times, I selected the boot into graphical interface. And still nothing. It always boots into a command line. Whats going on? Is there something wrong with the ISOs that I burned? Or what? I would greatly appreciate any help at all. Thanks.

Linux User
    what is your videocard? maybe it is not supported and is bombing out...

did you try what dolda said?? login to the console as root then type

startx

or init 5
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    A side note, both gnome and kde are built on X windows. The X server is the program that puts your graphics card into graphic mode, so if you're planning on using gnome or kde (which you will want to, if you're new to linux), you will need to install X, too. X itself isn't much more easy to use than having the system in text mode.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with the ISOs, but rather with how you've configured the X server. Does it work when you use the test button in the installation program?
    Also, log in as root and just run "runlevel", then post the results here.

Just Joined!
    Did you try running startx from the command line?