Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Red Hat 8.0 on my friends laptop, everything runs fine until you shut the lid, upon which the computer completely freezes. Is there a setting that needs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Laptop Crashes When the Lid is Shut

I just installed Red Hat 8.0 on my friends laptop, everything runs fine until you shut the lid, upon which the computer completely freezes. Is there a setting that needs to be changed?

Linux Engineer
    rh8 seems to have a lot of bugs. I woudl check that apm is enabled in the kernel, and that apmd is active (or whatever power managemnt daemon u use)

as u prob know the lid closing is suppoed to cut power to the monitor and possibly downclock the cpu etc, so u need power management stuff setup or it will crash.

Just Joined!
    To be honest, I am quite a novice at Linux. How do you go about enabling apm or apmd in the kernel, or enabling any sort of power management? Thank you for your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm no expert in laptops, but don't many laptops shutdown when the lid is shut? (Or do they just suspent/enter some low power mode)
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!
    Exactly, but for some reason the mechanism that puts the computer to sleep is causing linux to crash.

Linux Engineer
    firstly, as root type
    service apmd status
    if it says running try looking for config files to check why its not working.
    if it says stop run
    service apmd start
    and if it says not foudn chcek ur distro cd's for anyhting labelled apm and install it.