Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: mandrake 9, red hat 8 or other?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • mandrake 9

0 0%
  • red hat 8

2 40.00%
  • other

3 60.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
that it i guess. the only changes I have made were taking out a PCI lan card and connecting a lexmark Z32. guess I didn't try unplugging the printer when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

that it i guess. the only changes I have made were taking out a PCI lan card and connecting a lexmark Z32. guess I didn't try unplugging the printer when I was going through my work backward trouble shooting.

and yah. Lilo. I only used grub because when I installed rh8 I figured at the same time I'd try grub in thoughts that lilo might be sending something strange to the bootup. this used to be my network server but now it's my tinker toy.

thanks for your help I believe you have helped me enough to take care of the rest. and thanks for the VERY quick replies.

zeb

Linux Guru
    Don't worry about printers. I can't imagine that they could possibly make rc.sysinit hang.

GRUB is really much, much better than LILO. I wouldn't change if I were you. If you want to learn more, see 'info grub'. That's a very exhaustive documentation on GRUB.

Just Joined!

well... I think I fixed it.

I think I fixed the problem... I don't know exactly why this would cause the symptoms it did, but the problem is gone.

I was setting up my moniter's energy settings in the bios. when I noticed that PNP OS was checked in my bios. I've almost always left this unchecked because I've usually had at least one non plug-n-play OS on my computer. so for some reason the bios reverted back to defaults (or user defaults) so I unchecked the PNP OS option and I've had no problems with the boot since. I guess booting into XP set some key paramater during a cold start that wasn't changed by doing a warm start into linux. that's my guess anyways. like I said once before I'm a windows tech in a linux world. guess that's why I'm taking a college class on using linux to serve microsoft networks.

thanks again for your help just wanted to let you know what fixed the problem for future reference.

zeb
    root_of_all_linux@hangarz.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2