Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
alright, thanks. i wanted to see if i could fix it without reinstalling linux but i guess to try your way i will have to....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

alright, thanks. i wanted to see if i could fix it without reinstalling linux but i guess to try your way i will have to.

Just Joined!
    when i installed redhat i got the same old deal. so during install i took careful measure to insure i DIDNT touch the windows partions. i also configured lilo/grub and changed the DOS name to windows2000. and made windows the default boot (this system was my fathers and i use linux as the diagnostics and administration)
    u got to be careful with partions, mainly NTFS. redhat was a bit different than others i have used and it was eaiser to make a mistake on it. but still i got it correct with no issues

Just Joined!
    alright i installed xp again and then installed red hate on a different hard drive. now when i boot up i just get a command prompt that says "grub" what the hell is this? can i have linux on a different hard drive?

Linux Engineer
    You've installed GRUB without the menu.lst file. Therefore, when GRUB loads, the GRUB shell is loaded. You have to now manually boot your OS.
    Can you tell me the drives (and partition) for each OS? It won't be very head to boot into the machine once we have that info. Once that's done, we can generate the menu.lst file to avoid this problem.
    The best things in life are free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2