Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Maybe it installed onto the windows filesystem. That is possible, though not recommended, since it cannot really use normal unix permissions (unless mounted as umsdos... don't care about that), it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Maybe it installed onto the windows filesystem. That is possible, though not recommended, since it cannot really use normal unix permissions (unless mounted as umsdos... don't care about that), it's slower, and it has to share the partition with windows, which is never a good thing. It has other disadvanteges too. The only good thing is that you can install without repartitioning. You should only use something like that for trials; if you want a stable installation, you should install it on an ext3 filesystem.

Linux User
    dolda is right - there may have been some unpartitioned space leftover, but if you are 100% certain the the drive was full then it may have installed in the same partition as windows (which as he said is bad)

the other option is something i cant recall the name of, but i was told there was a program (that i thought came with mandrake) that would resize partitons for you, similar to partiton magic - any mandrake people confirm/deny this?
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    I have tried to resize the partition with partition magic 8.0 several times to no avail.... The program hangs at 30 percent (even after i run chkdsk).... I am forced to then plug out the computer and fix the drive back with chkdsk (if not the XP will never boot up again because it is corrupted)..... Man i had no idea that installing Red Hat Linux would be such a hassle????? Is there any other programs out there designed to resize the partition???

Linux User
    is your partiton NTFS? I dont know if Partition magic can handle NTFS (it may need to be FAT32 which means reinstalling windows (this is how i do it anyhow) )
    majorwoo

Linux Engineer
    I rrepartitioned my ntfs drive with part magic. Thats wierd that it hangs for you. Make sure you defragged your drive as well.

Linux Guru
    It hung for my cousin as well, when I was going to install linux on his computer. But it didn't matter too much to him, so we proceeded anyway (formatted). I've heard several horror stories about PM here and there on the net.

Just Joined!
    UPDATE ****

I finally installed RED HAT LINUX 8.0. Even though partition magic 8.0 constantly hung on me and all most caused me to loose all my files. I found a much better program (well to me) Called Boot-ITNG it a small dos program that run in full 16 bit mode that can resize ntfs and fat partitions, and install linux partition (EXT2, EXT3). ALthough the program took a long time to resize the partition for me .... the wait was worth it now I have installed Red Hat Linux 8.0

Linux Guru
    Boot-ITNG you say? I got to check that out.

Linux User
    ditto
    majorwoo

Just Joined!
    it can be found at Download.com
    in the search just type resize partition and you should see the file come up on the list

although Partition magic was all fancy looking and 32 bit Boot-ING did the job

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast