Find the answer to your Linux question:
Everytime I try to install mandrake on one of my computers the kernel will start up like normal until after it mounts the hard drive and cd rom drive. Then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange Mandrake 9.1 Installation Error

Everytime I try to install mandrake on one of my computers the kernel will start up like normal until after it mounts the hard drive and cd rom drive. Then it will give me pages and pages of errors with all these numbers and letters inside brackets. When it's done doing that it gives me the following code and my computer freezes up:

Code:
    Code: 8b 41 1c ba 80 00 00 89 d3 99 f7 fb 3b 15 80 25 25 c0 0f

<1> unable to handle kernel Null pointer dereference at virtual address 00000014
    I know the cd is fine because I installed it on my other PC and it worked great. My guess is a hardware problem of some kind but I'm not exactly sure.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    how much ram do u have? if its over 960mb (ie 1gb or more) can u remove half of it?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmasker
    how much ram do u have? if its over 960mb (ie 1gb or more) can u remove half of it?
    I only have 364 megs of ram in it right now but that is the PC's limit. I'll try to remove some and see how that works.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    if its that low removign it wont help. its just that mdk shipped 9.1 without a high memory kernel (or at least 1 that doesnt work right). leave it all in coz that not ur problem. BTW i think its 384

is ur bios set PnP enabled OS to NO?
    if its yes then change it and try again.