Find the answer to your Linux question:
The problem - i am a beginner to Linux, my situtaion is that i am trying to send old computers to Africa to schools in Ethipia and Kenya through an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 3 Installation - please help

The problem - i am a beginner to Linux, my situtaion is that i am trying to send old computers to Africa to schools in Ethipia and Kenya through an Irish charity, since Microsoft gave me absolutely no help whatsoever i decided to load on Fedora 3 with Open Ofiice etc.

The problem is that i have to wipe all data on the disks using KILLDISK which writes over any info 3 times and erases all data on the hard drives, this is a must otherwise companies and institutions will not give over their computers to the charity, i have to send them a certificate of Data Destruction.

After Killdisk, i setup 1 partition using all available disk space using FDISK utility. When i try to load on the operating system Fedora 3, the error i get is 'This is not a valid Boot disk, please insert another disk'

I tested the DVD Fedora 3 Disk using Checksum and all went well.

My questions - Do i need to load a pre-operating Linux utility before Fedora 3 after i have wiped the hard drives?
    - How do i load Fedora 3 from the DVD disk or CD-ROMs from a linux prompt if the ISO image does not automatically boot?
    - Has anyone else used KILLDISK and found a problem similar to this?
    - What is the proper procedure to take a completely empty harddrive up to a pre OS installation stage?

The charity is at www.camara.ie, i really need to get this problem sorted as soon as possible, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Eogman.

Firstly are you sure that the cd's are burnt correctly? (You might find this helpful: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-48038.html)

Secondly are you sure that the computers can boot cds? if not can you try booting a floppy like the one mentioned here.

I hope this is some help, since I don't think killdisk will have stoped you installing FC3 the normal way
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

Yeh, i made sure the disks were spo on

The disks are A1, checksum perfect. Is there a better way to re-partition/ re-format a hard drive after it has been entirely wiped (US Department of Defense standards) other than using FDISK?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    you could just bootup the FC3 disks and use it's partitioning program to do the partitioning && formatting.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2