Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello to everyone out here, please help me There are 16 computers in the network. One server has the RedHat linux dump. The other 15 computers don't have CDs or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Alternate way of Installing Linux

Hello to everyone out here, please help me

There are 16 computers in the network. One server has the RedHat linux dump. The other 15 computers don't have CDs or floppy drives, but have network cards. They are running Windows 98. I want to know if there is any way to boot the linux kernel from DOS on the client machines and activate the ethernet cards, so that I could install linux from the server using FTP / NFS. Or if there is any way of doing this from Windows also.

Any information regarding this will be helpful

Regards.

One way of doing it is using Symantec Ghost. Obviously this is not a free solution. It works for Windows and Linux and you'll need some time to sort it out.

You need to make an image of model pc and place it on a server. The ghost console runs on a windows server. I have never done it with Linux images but acording to the documentatiion it is possible. The latest version supports ext3.

I am not sure if you can install Linux through ftp. FreeBSD has thiis ability but you'll need to boot from a floppy\CD to get to that option.
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Linux Engineer
    You can also publish a bootdisk or boot image on a ftp,nfs,webserver and boot from that over the network.
    Regards

Andutt