Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How do I do a multiboot with Linux (Suse 9.3) and Windows XP over 2 HD's? Am new to Linux and could not find a clear description elsewhere Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    AJW
    Just Joined!

Installing on 2 Hard Drives / Multi Boot with Windows XP

How do I do a multiboot with Linux (Suse 9.3) and Windows XP over 2 HD's?

Am new to Linux and could not find a clear description elsewhere

Thanks

Ok, I assume your 1st hard drive contains Windows and the 2nd hard drive is the one you wish to install linux on, right? Also I will assume your 2nd hard drive is completely empty i.e unformatted.

In linux, the 1st hard drive is called hda and the 2nd hard drive is called hdb. Now, what you do is boot into SuSE's install and goto the partitioning setup, Goto the Advanced page (You get there by saying you want a manual partitioning setup), click on hdb (Usually, it will also print the name of the hard disk out), then click on create, create partitions in the following order:

Partition 1: root
    mount point: /
    Format as: ReiserFS
    Size : ~10 GB

Partition 2: home
    mount point: /home
    Format as: ReiserFS
    Size : ~ X GB

Partition 3: swap
    Format as: swap
    Size: ~ 3 * RAM Size, but no more than 1 - 2GB
    Note, swap doesn't have a mount point.

Now click a bunch of ok's till you get back to the main screen. Goto the bootloader setup, GRUB is default bootloader, tell it to install grub to MBR of the 1st Hard drive (hda), this way, when the system boots, you can choose between which OS to load. Now once that is done, go install packages and setup the rest of your system..

enjoy.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

AJW
    Just Joined!
    Hey I got Suse and Windows installed but the default boot manager GRUB is not loading, I just get a black screen after the initial BIOS screen

I think maybe when Yast was updating my system it may have done something to GRUB or my MBR on hda is corrupt.

Any suggestions on how to isolate the probelm and get the boot manager working again?

I am currently using my Suse install cd to manually boot

Insert the SuSE cd and select to repair the installation. Now resetup Grub so that it is on the MBR of hda, this should allow for both windows and linux to load.

If that doesn't solve the problem, nerderello's tutorial on fixing boot problems with grub should help.

Just Joined!

Windows Xp on master hard drive and Suse on the slave

I installed Suse on a hard drive with no jumper and disconected the xp master then pluged the ide cable with suse hd set as slave but only win xp loads and it doesn't recognize the other hd at all. I am thinking I did it wrong can anyone help?

well, for ease of use you should have plugged in both drives during the suse setup and told it to install suse on the 2nd drive. What is happening now is that because the primary drive is also connected, its MBR will be used and so windows will load.

One solution I can think of is have both drives plugged in Windows as Master and SuSE as slave, insert the SuSE cd/dvd and select repair installation. Now when you get to the bootloader setup, tell it to install it to the MBR of the primary drive i.e. MBR of hda (don't worry windows won't be erased). This way, you can load either windows or suse during boot time.

Just Joined!
    Instead of posting a new topic, since mine is similar, I'll work off of his. I have 2 hard drives, one a 40gb (my main hard drive, windows is on it), and the other is an 80gb (just used for storage). I am interested in installing linux on my computer because, now being at college, we have to download Cisco Clean Access Agent, and so many more things, all configured for windows, but if we use linux, we have to do nothing. Also, I have heard it is more secure and would like to get familiar with it regardless. What do you advise? I would like to keep windows because of how familiar I am with it, but I would love to install Linux and be able to utilize Linux to access the internet in all ways. Thanks, any advice would be great.

Will

edit: I am downloading the SuSe Linux 9.3 5 cd ISO set, if that matters

Well, you can resize your partitions via YaST (the SuSE installation program) at the partitioning stage; although I've never lost any data, I personally know people who have. In other words, BACK UP YOUR DATA before doing it. Having your NTFS partition well defragmented seems to help as well.

Of course, you could just nuke your Windows install and jump in with both feet, but I usually recommend that new linux users keep a dual-boot system for a while until they become acclimated.

If you have installed Windows, you probably won't find the SuSE installation to be very difficult.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Ok well, what do you think I should do - I know I'm kinda leeching off his topic, but I didn't want to create another with a similar topic. My second hard drive (the backup 80gb hard drive) is formatted in the style of FAT32, whilst my Windows hard drive (the original, 40gb) is formatted in NTFS. I can backup my data, but what should i do from here? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Will

If you want to do things the "safe" way, then I would back up the data from the FAT32 drive, then repartition that drive in the SuSE installer. Create a swap partition (similar to a pagefile in Windows) about 1.5-2x the size of the amount of memory in the system and a / directory that gives you enough room to play around. Then you can create a FAT32 partition using the rest of the space on the drive and move your data back to that partition after the install has finished. No fuss, no muss
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast