Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone, I know that this topic has been asked to death but I can't seem to find a clearcut method of doing it. I've got a 80GB hard drive. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install Redhat 8.0 on a Windows 2000 hard drive?

Hi Everyone,

I know that this topic has been asked to death but I can't seem to find a clearcut method of doing it.

I've got a 80GB hard drive. I've installed Windows 2000 on my first primary partition (10GB) and then created another parimary partition (50GB) for all my other stuff.

That left me with 20GB to install RedHat 8.0. I booted up via the RedHat CD and chose autopartitioning to install Redhat on the unallocated 20GB. Somehow I kept getting a message about Redhat being unable to create the partition.

I've read elsewhere that I might have to resize the 10GB partition that my Windows 2000 sits on or something like that. Other sites told of problem with Windows bootup after installating Redhat because of the ext3 partitions.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could please tell me step by step how to install Redhat on my machine and not let it affect my Windows 2000 stuff..

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    Dont use autopartitioning. Just use disk druid during the install, its very simple. Just make a swap partition of like 256MB or 512MB then use the rest to install root too.

Linux User
    a 100MB boot partition is highly advised also
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Engineer
    Well you really dont need those anymore today

Linux User
    (you also dont need swap with today's RAM prices)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.