Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello every body i am using Linux redhat 9.0 distro. when i installed it previously i had 192 MB ram and i specified the swap file size 400 MB. now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

should i increase the swap file size now?

hello every body

i am using Linux redhat 9.0 distro. when i installed it previously i had 192 MB ram and i specified the swap file size 400 MB. now yesterday i installed a new Ram 256 MB now i have 448 MB of random access memory. now my question is should i increase the swap file size now to get better performance from the additonal ram? if yes then what should be the amount of swap file size to be increased? and also how can i do that? do i reinstall the distro in order to change the swap file size?

please help

The old 3*RAM argument for the size of swap space was for older computers when RAM prices were expensive, these days, having 500 MB of RAM and ~ 500 MB of swap is more than enough. You may notice a marginal increase in performance, but unless you are a speed freak, theres no need to go for it.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    well no not a speed freak i am but still wanna know how can i change modify the swap file size without reinstall the operation system again... actually i didnt found any way to go to change/ modify the swap file size...
    please tell me if you know about it how to change...

Linux Engineer
    Don't worry about your swap file, you don't need to increase it. If you want to cut it down, you'll have to resize the swap partition. That's the only way you can influence the max size of your swap.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

The best way to resize your swap partition would be to get a livecd suchas Knoppix or Mepis and SystemRescue cd has qtparted on it. And you can use that to resize any partitions.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ