Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have RedHat 9 installed, own a HP PSC 1210 multifuction printer. I have the cups service running. I absolutly cannot get this thing to print. When i rebooted Redhat's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Printing in redhat

I have RedHat 9 installed, own a HP PSC 1210 multifuction printer. I have the cups service running.

I absolutly cannot get this thing to print. When i rebooted Redhat's "finding new hardware" Found the printer, and said "Installing" but nothing. I went to system settings/printing and "scan devices" and it found it there also. Thought i set it up there, still no printing.

I follwed directions at this page http://cyberelk.net/tim/hpoj.html

I downloaded the drivers, i did what it said to do. I cannot even "locate hpoj" the hpoj driver. And yes, i did a updatedb. either these instructions are no longer valid or im a moron.

Anyone here have a HP Office Jet printer and get it to work in redhat?? I would really appreciate any help anyone can give here. This is the first time i've tried setting up printing in linux. And i'm getting a frigin migrain...

I have found that printing in RH can be a real nightmare. Especially network printing.

If you are running CUPS you can try to use http://localhost:631
    It's the cups admin tool.
    Although a local deskjet printer just seems to work for me I had some issues with network printers. I think it is very confusing that you have a 1001 ways of configuring the printers. Some of them work and others don't
    Have a look at kprinter as well.

cheers
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Just Joined!
    It all seems to be there, thats the part i dont get. I found one problem, one was that only root had permissions to print to /dev/lp0 So i changed that.

from a terminal doing "cat filename.txt > /dev/lp0" it just hangs at the terminal. It don't error out, it dont print, it just sits there and won't give me my cursor back.... till i CTRL-C it
    If i open another terminal and try to "cat filename.txt > /dev/lp0" while it is in suspended animation in the other terminal, i will get a resource busy... Like i said, it seem to all be there, i dont get it...

I just started using Linux less than a year ago. It has been one hell of a learning curve, but i think i have most of it down. Cept for this dang printer issue....

Oh, and your link http://localhost ????

Code:
    Oh, and your link http://localhost ????
    What's the problem? Doesn't it work?

Just Joined!
    is it supposed too? it just shows connection refused...

Well, it works for me. It is a web interface to customize printers. As far as I know this should work when cups is installed. You can install/delete printers. You can check the logs etc.

Have a look at www.cups.org

Just Joined!
    Odd, that time it came up....

But, today i formatted and install slackware, maybe redhat didn't like it... dunno
    Will see what i can do with it now..

Just Joined!
    Hey, it worked! Now printing a test page! Thanks a bunch there partner...

[edit] Well, i can install and print from there. But it wont print from anywhere else, go figure. But i have to be close. Least i know it will work.