Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been runing Ubuntu for a little bit now, but I need to install Windows so I can run a few things. So I went ahed and install Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Windows post Linux install.

I have been runing Ubuntu for a little bit now, but I need to install Windows so I can run a few things. So I went ahed and install Windows on a 30 GB hard drive, and everything went OK, but now I need to edit my boot-loader so I can boot into Windows if I need to. I have grub right now, and I added a Windows entry, but I dont know which drive to label it as. (E.G. hda, hdc...)

Heres my setup

IDE Cable One:
    DVD-RW Drive (M)
    CD-RW Drive (S)

IDE Cable Two:
    IDE HD 80 GB (EMPTY)(M)
    IDE HD 30 GB (WINDOWS)(S)

SATA Channel 3
    HD 160 GB (LINUX)

Which one should I use to boot my Windows hard disk?

it should be hdd (a = master cable one, b = slave cable one, etc...)
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    HUmm, ok, Ill give it a try.

EDIT: Ok I tried it and it didnt work. Grub returned: Partition type unknown!? Whats going on?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    can you post your
    Code:
    /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Guru
    I'd use Grub's command line completion feature for this. When you boot, as soon as the OS menu appears, you should have the chance to enter 'c' to get a Grub command line ('grub>'). At that command line, enter 'root (hd <tab>' and Grub will show a list of valid drives. If hd1 is one of the choices, you can do: 'root (hd1, <tab>' and get a list of valid partitions. You can then do:
    Code:
    root &#40;hd1,0&#41;
    bogus /   <tab>
    and get a listing of files and directories in the top level of partition (hd1,0). If it's Windows, you'll recognise it and you can write your Grub script based on that. You may need to use the "map" commands to let Windows think it is on the first hard drive.

You may not see your 2 IDE drives as described above. I had a similar setup, with Linux booting from a drive connected to an ATA/133 PCI card. Linux would boot fine and once up, I had all of my drives, but Grub could not see them: the kernel needed to be loaded for it all to work. My solution was to put a /boot partition on one of my IDE drives which would load the kernel from the IDE /boot partition and then get the root partition from the ATA/133-connected drive.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Ugh, sorry for the late reply. I fixed it by simply mapping my windows partition as the master drive. Otherwise it wouldnt boot.