Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I got 10 Ubuntu disks in the mail today (they were free so I ordered a bunch) and when I ran the live cd to test it out and see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

Ubuntu monitor problems

I got 10 Ubuntu disks in the mail today (they were free so I ordered a bunch) and when I ran the live cd to test it out and see what I thought, I got the window you get when the monitor isn't plugged into the computer. It said "frequency out of range"...Anyone know how I can fix this? Anything is appreciated.

oz
    forum.guy
    Look for the opportunity to enter boot options when the CD first spins up. Note that you only have a few seconds to enter any options before the CD will continue to boot.

Try using the option "linux vsync=70" and see if that will get you past this problem.

kbk
    Do you mean the very first screen you see (it says Ubuntu and then it says boot: ) or do you mean later on when it is running through all the configuration stuff? I tried "live-expert" mode but I wasn't able to really figure all of it out and that caused me to have more problems.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by kbk
    Do you mean the very first screen you see (it says Ubuntu and then it says boot: )
    Yes, that's it. Type in "linux vsync=70" then press ENTER. If that doesn't work, change the number to 60 and see if it works.

kbk
    Ok I'll try that, thanks for the clarification.

kbk
    Ok now it tells me that it doesn't recognize that kernel (I cannot recall the exact words used but that's just about it I think).

oz
    forum.guy
    Many distros allow the vsync option at boot, but Ubuntu might not.

Boot again, but check out the available options by pressing the different F-keys. I think it's F3 through F7 on Ubuntu that shows most of the options. You'll need one that applies to video settings.

kbk
    I hooked up a different monitor from an old compaq I have...It did the trick so now I have played with the live cd a bit. Now I want to install it over winblows but I dunno how hard or easy that will be. I tried the expert install of the live cd and it was quite intimidating. So I just want some info about that now...I don't know whether to make a new thread or not though..

oz
    forum.guy
    Glad you got it going... yes, it's better to create a new thread at this point.

Gahh... aysiu pressed the ENTER key faster than me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast