Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to run Ubunut on this computer but I don't want to get rid of my files on XP, I can't afford an external HD and I can't save ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

Installing ubuntu over XP

I want to run Ubunut on this computer but I don't want to get rid of my files on XP, I can't afford an external HD and I can't save all my stuff to cd (too much). So I would like to install linux over XP. I tried the expert install with the ubuntu live cd and it was very intimidating...I would just like some help or a tutorial or something to help me out with this..Thanks.

You don't want to get rid of your files, but you want to install Ubuntu over XP? The only way to do that is to back up your files. I know you say it's too much to back up, but you should always back up your work, especially when installing a new OS, and especially when you're not 100% sure of how to do it.

That said, I'd recommend after you back up your data that you have Ubuntu automatically partition your entire hard drive rather than doing the expert "manually edit partition table" option.

The Ubuntu Guide will be a great help for anything Ubuntu-related:

http://www.ubuntuguide.org

kbk
    Ok, thanks alot I will check that out and stuff. The things I don't want to lose are all things that I can't fit onto cd-r's because they are over 700MB and I don't have a DVD burner. As I said I can't afford an external HD and don't have one...So I guess I will just take a chance and backup what I can and leave the rest..Alright with the guide I am not too sure of what I really need to do, it is just a bit confusing...Perhaps I will try in the morning after some sleep.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Even if you have 40 GB of data, it's worth putting that on 57 CDs just so that you don't lose the data. I'm serious. Think about anything that it would just suck to lose--pictures of family and friends, documents you've typed out, bookmarks and emails, music collections, whatever. It's worth the time to back it up.

About the Ubuntu Guide, it's handy for post-installation configuration. It may look intimidating at first, but it's really easy to copy and paste a few commands into the terminal, far easier than to have someone, for example, describe how to use the GUI Synaptic Package Manager.

For installation of Ubuntu, try this

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/I386

kbk
    Ok, I understand the point of backing up files and stuff, but since I have only had this up for a few months it isn't too big of a deal, however, I do have some movies and stuff that I don't want to have to download again but cannot fit onto cds. That is my biggest problem.

Okay. Your life is your life. I was just expressing my opinion. If you don't mind losing your data, cool. But if you're not doing a dual-boot, and you just want to install Ubuntu over XP, the installation will be easy, but you will lose all your data that you don't back up.

kbk
    Yeah I know...I do want to do a dual boot though...My friend has done it but he told me that he found out how to do it on his own and so should I..So I came here.

Quote Originally Posted by kbk
    Yeah I know...I do want to do a dual boot though...My friend has done it but he told me that he found out how to do it on his own and so should I..So I came here.
    I set up a dual boot. It's not that hard, but you have to know what you're doing.

Select "manually edit the partition table."
    Resize the existing NTFS partition.
    Then create a new ext3 partition, and I think Ubuntu forces you to make a swap partition, too (it should be twice your RAM).
    Then select the new ext3 partition to be the / mount point.
    It'll ask if you want to erase that partition, say yes.
    Then, when asked if you want to install Grub to the MBR, say yes.
    That should be it.
    The Grub menu will let you choose between the OSes.

If you don't feel comfortable with partitions and boot loaders yet, read up a bit more on partitioning, dual booting, and Grub.

kbk
    http://www3.telus.net/linux4u/ubuntu2.html I found that site to be pretty helpful, especially the screenshots and stuff. I also borrowed a HD from my neighbor so I can back everything up .