Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello! Every budy, i am new to linux and i want to know some thing about the DNS server. what are the advantages of DNS server in networking, Every budy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS

hello! Every budy,
    i am new to linux and i want to know some thing about the DNS server.
    what are the advantages of DNS server in networking,
    Every budy in this feeld says that it is Heart for networking can anybudy Explain the exact defination of DNS server,
    i will be very thankfull for that person. I thing there is some one to help me!
    byeee! Every budy.

Linux Newbie
    DNS is Domain Name Service that resolves IP address by hostname and it's not specific feature of Linux. I'm curious about one thing, why don't you google for such a trivial question? Below is the DNS term definition by webopedia.
    (1) Short for Domain Name System (or Service or Server), an Internet service that translates domain names into IP addresses. Because domain names are alphabetic, they're easier to remember. The Internet however, is really based on IP addresses. Every time you use a domain name, therefore, a DNS service must translate the name into the corresponding IP address. For example, the domain name www.example.com might translate to 198.105.232.4.
    The DNS system is, in fact, its own network. If one DNS server doesn't know how to translate a particular domain name, it asks another one, and so on, until the correct IP address is returned.