Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had no clue I could install linux on a mac until my friend showed me his power mac with it... But I'm wondering would I be able to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can I install Xandros on my Ibook

I had no clue I could install linux on a mac until my friend showed me his power mac with it... But I'm wondering would I be able to install Xandros on my Ibook? (not sure if all can)... I'm also worried it might not run right... I just got this Ibook 700 for $50 (yes thats $50 from the schools in VA that were selling them I was a grad this year so yeah) but it didn't come with any OS X backup software of any kind so I'm worried something might mess up.... and then I need to pay $150 for new software... Has anyone here put Linux (Xandros would be more specific) on an Ibook without problems ? Also would my aircard still work?

Linux Newbie
    Some Linux distributions are okay for PPC arch. And some are not. Most installations are either x86 or x64 based, meaning that they have been pre-configured to install on those architectures. Fortunately for you, there are plenty of PPC-based Linux distros. Yellow Dog is a good example, for more go here:
    http://www.themacforum.net/forum/ind...?showtopic=425

The best thing to do is to partition your hard drive, so that you can run OSX and Linux together. That way, if something goes wrong, you ain't SOL.

By the way, why would you want to install Linux on an iBook? Just about any Linux program can be built for OSX. And there's a system called Fink that lets you install binary packages. You just need some tools to get started, like the developer disk and X11, which can be downloaded for free.

Just Joined!
    you're not kidding me? I can use almost any Linux tools and programs on OS X? I need to know more.... please fill me in ... and I will also search for the things you mentioned

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by HeLLBoUnD_Matt
    you're not kidding me? I can use almost any Linux tools and programs on OS X? I need to know more.... please fill me in ... and I will also search for the things you mentioned
    ive seen mplayer, xine, gnome in mac OS
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by HeLLBoUnD_Matt
    http://fink.sourceforge.net/

About installing Linux on your Mac, here are some of the distributions that support it:
    CRUX, Debian, Fedora Core, Gentoo, Mandriva, Peachtree, ROCK, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, YellowDog