Find the answer to your Linux question:
I intend to repartition my hard disk and reinstal linux as i have made a lot of (mostly bad) changes and cant be arsed to fix them all. i have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

reccomend partitioning

I intend to repartition my hard disk and reinstal linux as i have made a lot of (mostly bad) changes and cant be arsed to fix them all. i have a 40gb+20gb primary master and slave hard disk and cdrw and dvdrom scsi emulation drives. What would you reccomend for partitioning? I would like to have /swap /tmp /home /usr and /root on different partitions. for the most part i dont use more than 400mb's of my 1gb (suse default) swapspace as i have 512mb ddr ram. so what do you reccomend. also please advise, in what order you think the partitions would be best?

ta

Linux User
    From what I've read I don't think you need more than 500mb of swap space, but I could be wrong. /usr I'd say between 2 and 5 gigs, depending on how much you think you'll be installing. / I'd say 500mb -1 gig. /tmp you should be fine with 100mb. And finally make /home whatever you think you'll need. There, that's what I would do, God speed...

Linux Engineer
    I should atleast have /var /tmp on different partitions for security pourposes. Its also recommended to have twice as much swapspace as you have RAM memory but its no rule! Its just that the swap algoritm is optimized for that much of space.
    Regards

Andutt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    well i have been monitering my swap useage and it rarely goes over 400mb but i was able to max it out when i ran many many apps (gimp with 200mb image/mplayer -dvd and mplayer with avi and a few others) what order on the disks would you sugest for the different partitions (swap at the start?) and on what drive master/slave?

i see the point about /tmp but why /var or a seperate partition? i dont actualy know what its for.. also should /tmp have restricted privalages?

Linux Engineer
    I generally put /tmp on a seperate partition so you can mount it with noexec,nodev,nosuid and then link /var/tmp to /tmp. The rule about swap being 2x your memory is a bad rule. What if you only have 64MB of ram, I would want way more then 128MB of swap. Also if you have 4GB of ram, do you really need 8GB of swap? I think you should look at what you want to do with your box and how much ram you have then determine the amount of swap you should use. My workstation has 512MB of ram and I use max 10MB of swap.

Linux Newbie
    is there any great book on linux partitions, out there?

Linux Engineer
    Thre are probably a chapter or two in any Linux book. I don't really see the point in needing such a book since it's so well documented on the Web. Is there anything you don't understand? I find that Red Hat's manuals are pretty good when it comes to reading new topics. It's very well illustrated and easy to read unlike the Debian manuals. Still, both are good.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    I think these two from tldp.org are really great. The first is fairly general while the second one is really in-depth.

http://tldp.org/LDP/lame/LAME/linux-...titioning.html

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/intro.html