Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can i tell if im using the right drivers for my hardware (i.e. my mouse and monitor). I have RH8 running on a custom laptop. I dont know how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Drivers

How can i tell if im using the right drivers for my hardware (i.e. my mouse and monitor). I have RH8 running on a custom laptop. I dont know how to find out exactly what hardware im using, and i am unable to reach the manufacturer. My touchpad works, but the scrollbutton doesnt. My screensavers dont work right, and it seems to me if theyre not configured correctly, that would be a good explination. Ive seen this topic addressed in other threads, but they all were on different distros, so im not sure if they apply.

Linux Engineer
    What kind of mouse (ps2)? What kind of monitor (CRT or LCD)? As I've used Red Hat a long time ago, I don't remember how to detect these things but all I can say is that Red Hat should have auto detected both of these.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    I dont know a whole lot about computers, but I dont think Ive ever seen a CRT hooked up to a laptop (my screen is an LCD). Im using the touchpad that came installed in the laptop, so im not sure what kind of mouse Linux thinks that is. When I installed it, the setup asked me to choose what kind of mouse I had from a list. I chose what was the default, a three button mouse. I dont remember if it was any more specific than that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Laptop... that's definetly LCD. I should have read more thoroughly because you clearly stated this earlier. Correct me if I'm wrong but the touch pad is that little square box in the middle of the laptop used for mouse movements? I'm not familiar w/these terms so please bare w/me.

As you are using RH8, I don't really know what kernel it uses but I'm pretty sure that support is available. If it comes down to it, you might have to compile a kernel but I'd recommned you stay away from that until at least a month experience in Linux.

Do you have any information about your laptop? I've never worked with them so I don't know how I would even set up the video. Can anyone shed some light on this topic?

Just Joined!
    see, thats just the problem. I dont have this info on my laptop. The manufaturer (B3) is impossible to get ahold of. The touchpad (yes, its the little box below the keyboard) works except for the scroll button (its supposed to work like the wheel on a regular mouse). If it does come down to compiling a new kernel, can you point me to a site (or book) on how to do that? Im just starting with linux, and while I pick things up fairly quickly, i need a starting point.

Linux Engineer
    Well, what's the exact problem with your laptop?

www.tldp.org has EVERYTHING that you need. Sometimes it's a bit verbose but I would advise on picking the right topic and just reading what you NEED to know. Don't be a moron like me and try to read the whole topic.

Linux Engineer
    short answer: if its workign then uve got the right driver.
    there are a few exceptions to this such as generic vga drivers but if its workign well its probably set up right