Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to linux and recently installed red hat linux 9.0. I need help installing my ATI Radeon 9200 video card and adjusting my monitor refresh rate (currently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

video drivers installation & Monitor refresh rate

Hi,
    I am new to linux and recently installed red hat linux 9.0. I need help installing my ATI Radeon 9200 video card and adjusting my monitor refresh rate (currently it is set to very low flickering is quite visible). I have downloaded linux drivers from ATI which is a .bin file, anyone knows how to install this driver file and change my monitor refresh rate?
    GUI method appreciated. Thanks.

Linux User
    I'm pretty sure you downloaded a .rpm from the ati site. Anyway just double click the rpm, and hopefully it will install without any dependency issues. Once that's installed, you're going to have to do the next part without a GUI. Open a terminal, type su root and give the root password and type the following line : /opt/ati/bin/fglrxconfig. It's going to ask you some questions, one of which will be horizontal and vertical refresh rates for your monitor. Once you finish with that, enter the following: mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF8Config. Hopefully that will all work out for you without any problems. Good luck!

Just Joined!
    You were right, it is a .rpm file sorry for mixing up there. When i double click on that file, it gives me a message that this package is already installed and i when i try to execute those commands you gave me in terminal, it cannot find the specified directory. I think i messed it up, is there anyway to redo it (uninstall and install again). Also can you explain me a bit about those commands, i am just typing them in but have no clue what it means. Thanks a-lot for your response.

Linux Engineer
    rpm is basically the Red Hat package installer. The two most basic options are:
    Code:
    rpm -i <rpm package>
    which will install a rpm package and
    Code:
    rpm -e <rpm package>
    which will uninstall a rpm.
    You can find more info at:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/RPM-HOWTO/index.html

Beware that rpm doesn't take care of package dependencies. For example, package A needs package B to run, then package B willl have to be installed first. This a very simple example but the dependencies can become very annoying and hard. RPM will tell you exactly what you need but nontheless, it's tedious and very ineffective. To counter this problem, you can either build from source (by compiling) or you can install apt-rpm which is a front end to rpm. apt-rpm will take care of dependencies. As I use Debian Linux, I can say that apt-get is an awsome program but I've never used apt-rpm and don't know how well the database is organized.
    The best things in life are free.