Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi everybody i m a new linux user...recently i bought a computer with SATA hard disk, ASUS motherboard...whenever i try installing linux..it asks for SATA drivers which i don't have...i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing RedHat linux in SATA hdd

hi everybody

i m a new linux user...recently i bought a computer with SATA hard disk, ASUS motherboard...whenever i try installing linux..it asks for SATA drivers which i don't have...i tried to find out in internet but don't understatnd what to download and from where...i m in deep trouble...can anyone please help me out...
    thanx in anticipation

which version of RH are you using? Only the newer versions can communicate with sata based drives. If you like RH based distros, try Fedora Core 4.

See this page for more info on sata status under linux: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

But for general ease of use, try a newer distro as it comes with the sata drivers enabled.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Enthusiast
    Yeah, just try fedora.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You could also try a distribution based on Redhat Enterprise Linux, such as CentOS.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Re: installing RedHat linux in SATA hdd

Quote Originally Posted by ritu
    hi everybody

i m a new linux user...recently i bought a computer with SATA hard disk, ASUS motherboard...whenever i try installing linux..it asks for SATA drivers which i don't have...i tried to find out in internet but don't understatnd what to download and from where...i m in deep trouble...can anyone please help me out...
    thanx in anticipation
    Hey ritu Even FC3 works with SATA drives,you have to compile support for SATA in the linux kernel.

Rohit B
    http://www.kiraninfotech.com

Re: installing RedHat linux in SATA hdd

Quote Originally Posted by kiraninfotech_in
    Hey ritu Even FC3 works with SATA drives,you have to compile support for SATA in the linux kernel.

Rohit B
    http://www.kiraninfotech.com
    I was able to install Fedora Core 3 and 4 onto my SATA drives out of the box, with no kernel recompilation.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    Oh and dont use raid on the controlers
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Just Joined!
    No update on RH9 for supporting SATA HDDs? Any form of update available anywhere?

@ musikmaniac
    read the previous posts, it clearly states that because RH9 uses the 2.4 kernels, there is no sata support by default. The solution is to try a newer distro as again was said in the previous posts.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.