Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I burned the .iso files to CD (5 CDs total) and when I insert the first disc into my laptop it brings up the contents, but I do not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

First-Time Linux User - Installing SuSE 9.3

So I burned the .iso files to CD (5 CDs total) and when I insert the first disc into my laptop it brings up the contents, but I do not know what to do to install SuSE (I want to dual boot to keep my WinXP setup, and I don't even know if I need to re-install Windows from scratch or not).

oz
    forum.guy
    Set your BIOS to boot from the CD, then reboot with the first installation CD in the drive. If you burned them properly and the images were good, you should get an installation screen.

Linux User
    heh. damn, I should have realized to boot from CD. D'oh!

oz
    forum.guy
    No, you shouldn't have to reinstall Windows if the Suse install goes properly.

In fact, you should wind up with a menu giving the option to boot Suse or Windows once the Suse installation completes.

Good luck with it.

Linux User
    Ok, I have WinXP on my system already. is it possible to make the XP partition smaller during the linux installation without re-installing and re-partitioning Windows? (I want to avoid re-installing and partitioning my hard drive and windows if possible).

Whoops. sorry. didn't fully read the above post.

Linux User
    OK. Partitioning

I have 2 devices apparently (this is what I get after going to the expert option when partitioning in the Linux install):

/dev/hda @ 37.2 GB (I am not allowed to edit or resize this one)
    /dev/hda1 @ 22.0 GB (this one I was allowed to resize, which I did. Before Linux, 21 GB was used Windows Space, and 15 was free Windows Space. After Linux, 21 is used Windows Space and 15 WILL BE Linux)

I clicked Finish, and got an error:

YaST2 needs a root partition to install.
    Assign the root mount point "/" to a partition.

How do I do this to continue installation?

oz
    forum.guy
    Partitioning is usually the first hurdle for new Linux users. I usually make the following partitions for my Linux installs, but they sometimes vary:

/ (about 6 gigs)
    swap (about 512 megs)
    /home (about 6 gigs)

Suse should take care of making these for you, but if you are having problems with partitioning, you could make them from within Windows with Partition Magic. Then, all you do is tell Suse to use the existing partitions for the installation.

A Knoppix live-cd can also be used if you boot it then use Qtparted. It's a Partition Magic clone for Linux.

Linux User
    so with the above partitions that i mentioned, would anything happen to my existing Windows setup if I end up deleting them both and making what you suggest?

Edit: OK, my /dev/hda device apparently is entirely free (when I click the Edit button) but it says the size is 37.2 GB (the size of my HDD). I can create the three devices like yours, the /home, / and swap, however can you tell me what each of these is, in case I want to allocate more space to a particular "device"...?