Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, I'm a newbie to Linux so bear with me. I followed dt2's tutorial for burning the .iso files onto CD-Rs. I thought I had done it properly, and when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Install Problem

Alright, I'm a newbie to Linux so bear with me.

I followed dt2's tutorial for burning the .iso files onto CD-Rs. I thought I had done it properly, and when I booted from the CD, the Fedora Install seemed to be working. The problem came about when I tried to "check" the file... it failed the test.

Now, I could theoretically just try it again, maybe it was a fluke. But if there's some fairly common problem and/or reason for this, I'm hoping to figure it out before I waste all my CDs.

How can I check that the file I downloaded isn't corrupt? And is there a way to check the CD before I try the installation?

Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    You can check the MD5sum of the files with programs like fsum, i think. As long as the install finishes, and you have a working system afterwards, you should be OK

Linux Enthusiast

Re: Fedora Install Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroo Rat
    Alright, I'm a newbie to Linux so bear with me.

I followed dt2's tutorial for burning the .iso files onto CD-Rs. I thought I had done it properly, and when I booted from the CD, the Fedora Install seemed to be working. The problem came about when I tried to "check" the file... it failed the test.

Now, I could theoretically just try it again, maybe it was a fluke. But if there's some fairly common problem and/or reason for this, I'm hoping to figure it out before I waste all my CDs.

How can I check that the file I downloaded isn't corrupt? And is there a way to check the CD before I try the installation?

Thanks.
    Yes, there are several programs that will check the md5 for you. Oh and when burning set it to a slow speed, that will ensure data accuracy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Alright, all of the SUMs checked out, the files are fine. I tried reburning again, still the same problem. I burn at 4x, my DVD burner can handle 16x, so I'm rather certain it's not that.

I decided just to play with it, I'd go a little further into the installation... looks to me like it will do it, but if the disc keeps getting a "fail", I'm hesitant that something will be missing.

Any thoughts? Perhaps there's another Free program for burning .iso that I can try?

Linux Enthusiast
    The media check failing is a known bug; use
    Code:
    linux ide=nodma
    as the boot command.

Just Joined!
    Worked like a charm, apparently they weren't corrupt after all... very trixy.

Thanks for you help everyone.