Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
did you have grub installed? If you had LILO it would have said LILO when you booted, if you had GRUB it would have had a pretty blue screen with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

did you have grub installed? If you had LILO it would have said LILO when you booted, if you had GRUB it would have had a pretty blue screen with a RedHat in the back

If you had grub the easiest way I know of to put it back is to boot off the CD, select UPGRADE existing system - check the box for select speficic packages to upgrade, and install the smp-kerne(its towards the bottom under the category kernel)l, tell it to create a new boot loader config (as it probably wont find one) and let it install the additional kernel - the smp kernel should boot fine on a single processor system(its designed for multiple processor systems)

One that is done you can edit the /etc/grub.conf file back -- anyway, get that done and

cd /boot && ls vmlinux*

this will tell us what kernels you had installed so we can get you back to work

<-- Ifi anyone knows a simpler way please let me know as I would be interested in it, I have not read much on grub so there very well could be one
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    Majorwoo: Just create a GRUB boot floppy and (boot it and) use grub's own installation command. See info grub for more info.

Linux User
    i figured there was something like that
    majorwoo

Just Joined!
    Thanks everyone, I guess my real problem was not in reinstalling GRUB. In order for me to be able to boot linux from XOSL (a boot lodar i am used to) i had to install BRUB on the linux partition, not MBR. So, now I boot from XOSL to BRUB and boot to linux from there. Problem solved, thank you.

HWF

Linux User
    so what is this XOSL and what does it provide that you need to install it to boot to grub???
    majorwoo

Just Joined!
    Oh it is just a boot loader with a few handy feature (which I am sure grub has) and a windows-li interface.I am just used to it, and it is already set up for my Windows'. If you are really interested you might check out this:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/geurt/

HWF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2