Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How can I reinstall LILO after Windows screwed evertything up? I got RedHat 8.0, three instalation disks and a boot floppy. Thanks HWF...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to reinstall LILO

How can I reinstall LILO after Windows screwed evertything up? I got RedHat 8.0, three instalation disks and a boot floppy. Thanks

HWF

Linux Engineer
    boot up with the install cd or whatever and get to a console. Then just mount your drives and run "lilo" again and it will load itself back to the mbr.

Just Joined!
    So I boot up with the boot floppy and login into the "failsafe" session (which boots to console or something) ther eI just type "lilo". How do I mount drives anyway? I forgot to mention this in the first post, but i am entirely new to linux so...

Thank you though
    HWF

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You don't need to mount any drives, the startup scripts will do that for you. Just press CTRL+ALT+F1 to get a text terminal, log in as root (with your root password, of course), and run "lilo". Then you're all set.

Just Joined!
    Hey,

A little off topic, but if you're already in X, and you press CTRL+ALT+F1, how do you get back into X. I was just fooling around, and couldn't get back in. Just wondering

Tithefug

Linux Guru
    With standard config, the X server sets itself on the first unallocated VT, usually tty7. Ie. just press ALT+F7.

Just Joined!
    Thanks,

Worked like a charm!!!

Tithefug

Linux User
    joe you should know that!
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    OK, I booted up, pressed ctr+Alt+f1, logged on as root, typed lilo, the LILO then "lilo". Same result all the time "no such file or directory"

Maybe when you say type "lilo" you mean more then just type lilo, something a person like me would not eve think about... Anyway, maybe I did not have lilo installed in the first place. I looked around on the forum and found certain topics where people talk of GRUB being the boot loader in RH 8. Maybe this is my case. If so, how do I reinstall that?

Thank you,
    HWF

Just Joined!
    Also, Alt + F7 doesn't work either...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast