Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed a Fedora core 2 on my machine. After the installation, I added the telnet server and ftp server from System admin. Somehow I still can't telnet to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ftp, telnet on Fedora machine

I just installed a Fedora core 2 on my machine. After the installation, I added the telnet server and ftp server from System admin.

Somehow I still can't telnet to the Fedora machine, or ftp to this machine. Can someone give me a suggestion?

the error msg is:
    Connecting To 167.4.204.88...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
    Connect failed

Thanks a lot.

--Li

Linux User

Re: ftp, telnet on Fedora machine

Quote Originally Posted by liliu_98
    I just installed a Fedora core 2 on my machine. After the installation, I added the telnet server and ftp server from System admin.

Somehow I still can't telnet to the Fedora machine, or ftp to this machine. Can someone give me a suggestion?

the error msg is:
    Connecting To 167.4.204.88...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
    Connect failed

Thanks a lot.

--Li
    Ok no one uses telnet anymore its ssh, which comes with fedora. Next of all you have not provided any details on the ftp server. My sugestion is to post more details and check the firewall
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Linux Engineer
    I use telnet and its very handy...which version of the server are you running? vsftpd is a good one; however, once its running you will need to go to the vsftpd.conf file and change the line that reads "disable=yes" to "disable=no"

Its that simple...then you need to reload your vsftpd, for example with fedora you would "service vsftpd reload" to reload the config file...

also if you are trying to test it from within your local network you need to "telnet localhost" and not "telnet ipaddress", because of the way that routers work...pm me if you need any help setting it up...I just set up a telnet server with no experience so I had to work through alot of problems...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs