Find the answer to your Linux question:
My main box is gonna be dual boot win2k and debian 3.1. I would like to have them share the users home folder so both OS's can use it. Ive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot /home dir

My main box is gonna be dual boot win2k and debian 3.1. I would like to have them share the users home folder so both OS's can use it. Ive tries using fat32 for a partition mounted as /home but it seems lack of permissions wont let debian boot regular users to the gui. Any suggestions so users in both OS's can use this partition as thier home?

Just make it a Fat32 partition. It is not necessary for it to be /home.
    I also was not aware that W2k could have a separate /home partition.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Guru
    I think that what you really want to do is to have a /home directory (not partition) with users' /home/user directories (not partitions) under that and then to have a separate fat partition mounted under /home or under some /home/user. I think that you could make a symbolic link in any or all users' /home/user directory which would be linked to the shared fat partition.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Let me rephrase my question. How can i make my /home directories usable by win2k so I can map a coresponding user's "My Dcouments" to that same users home folder.

Not sure if your idea is the best

Quote Originally Posted by Tag_Scott
    Let me rephrase my question. How can i make my /home directories usable by win2k so I can map a coresponding user's "My Dcouments" to that same users home folder.
    I would not do this my self. As a user, you have many configuration settings stored in your /home/Tag_Scott/ directory, and you don't want windows apps writing over those.

Why not follow the advise given in this forum, and create a /home/Tag_Scott/My_Documents directory, which is mapped to windows?

Or why not a /windows/My_Documents directory?

You could also create a user "My_Documents", and there then would be a /home/My_Documents directory. You would have to go in and modify the permissions such that everyone could have full access user "My_Documents" directory.

Apologies, but even if it could be done, I have reservations about the viability of your idea of making /home equivalent to some windows directory.

Just Joined!
    Can you please xplain in more detail.
    (I am a novice - that is the reson)

Thank you.

There are good reasons to separate some directories

Quote Originally Posted by rakoon13
    Can you please xplain in more detail.
    I think the quote below summarizes it quite well:
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    you have many configuration settings stored in your /home/Tag_Scott/ directory, and you don't want windows apps writing over those.
    There are many many many apps that come with Linux. Typically the configuration settings, for these apps, for user Tag_Scott, may be stored as various hidden files and hidden directories under /home/Tag_Scott. One does not want MS-Windows doing anything to these files.

I am also not convinced you can delete the /home/user directories, and then successfully re-install them as (fat32) /home/user directories, without causing problems.

Please, what is wrong with the other suggestions given in this forum? ie Suggestions such as /home/Tag_Scott/My_Documents for each user being mapped to the fat32 c:\Documents and Settings\Tag_Scott\My_Directories ??