Find the answer to your Linux question:
Brand New to Linux Today. I have installed Debian Linux using a basic CD and then using the HTTP option to instal remaining packages. At the end of the installation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to obtain windows-like desktop

Brand New to Linux Today.

I have installed Debian Linux using a basic CD and then using the HTTP option to instal remaining packages. At the end of the installation process I am prompted for my user ID and password and I enter these (successfully) and am taken to a command prompt. However, I heard that Linux had a windows-like interface but don't know how to get it up and running.

Any advice?

Do I need to install further packages?

Thanks,
    Steve.

Linux Engineer
    I suggest you start with KDE (K Desktop Enviornment), which is a set of applications and essential things for a desktop that runs on top of The X Window System. There's a whole apt section for it if you haven't installed that. First, run 'echo "exec startkde">~/.xinitrc'. This will write "exec startkde" to the file ~/.xinitrc, which is what is run when you start X. Then, run "startx" to start X.

Take a look at the installation instructions:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stabl...stall-packages

Pay close attention to the part that says you have the ability to choose tasks first, and then add on more individual packages later. These tasks loosely represent a number of different jobs or things you want to do with your computer, such as “desktop environment”, “web server”, or “print server”.

Make sure you select "desktop environment."

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yep. Makes sense. Only thing is, when I get to screen with the option to select the "desktop environment", my "+" key doesn't work. In fact none of the keys do - except up/down arrow and enter.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the basic questions - haven't installed an OS before.

Thanks,
    Steve

Maybe try space bar instead of plus? It's been a while since I installed Debian.

Linux Engineer
    Huh? Aren't those keys the only ones that would make sense to use at that dialog?

Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Huh? Aren't those keys the only ones that would make sense to use at that dialog?
    No. Space bar selects and deselects in Windows, too. If you're in dialogue boxes and you tab between checkboxes, space bar checks and unchecks those boxes (in Word or Excel, for example)--this is also true in Firefox.

Space bar is pretty standard. Try it. See if it works.

Just Joined!
    Spacebar worked.
    Thanks very much.
    Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemalcolm
    Spacebar worked.
    Thanks very much.
    Much appreciated.
    Glad it all worked out.

Linux Enthusiast

Re: Unable to obtain windows-like desktop

Quote Originally Posted by stevemalcolm
    Brand New to Linux Today.

I have installed Debian Linux using a basic CD and then using the HTTP option to instal remaining packages. At the end of the installation process I am prompted for my user ID and password and I enter these (successfully) and am taken to a command prompt. However, I heard that Linux had a windows-like interface but don't know how to get it up and running.

Any advice?

Do I need to install further packages?

Thanks,
    Steve.
    For your first linux distro, DO NOT use debian, etc. Use an easier distro. My first distro was suse and it was so easy that I was encouraged to learn more about linux. For a windows-like distro i recommend xandros. debian isn't n00b friendly.