Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently installed RH9 as a 2nd OS next to winXP on a new Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D7830. Everything works just fine (dual booting with Grub, internet, ...), but I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

resolution problem

Hi,
    I recently installed RH9 as a 2nd OS next to winXP on a new Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D7830. Everything works just fine (dual booting with Grub, internet, ...), but I'm having a problem concerning the resolution. RH9 detected the right video card (ATI Radeon Mobile 9000), but couldn't detect the right monitor of the laptop. So I chose the generic laptop screen @ 1024*768, 60 Hz. X works with this config, but the strange thing is that I'm pretty sure it aint running at 1024*768, but at 800*600 instead (because the desktop environement, fonts and stuff seem way too large to be 1024*76. Another annoying thing is that the black fonts are "color-shifted", the 'i', 'j' and 'l' have a blueish color, while small letters are washed out to a reddish color. Most fonts seem a bit blurry too. I checked the configuration of the monitor with the tools of Red Hat, and it still says it's working at 1024*768. I've also tried other configs, but nothing helped. Even if I start X at a higher resolution than 1024*768, everything still looks like 800*600, and the color shift remains.
    Any help would be gladly appreciated,
    thanks in advance!

DISPLAY: 15, 0 INCH
    SCREEN RES: 1024 X 768
    CPU: INTEL PENTIUM4 2, 66 GHZ
    MEMORY: 2X 256 MB DDR-RAM
    FREQ RAM: 266 MHZ
    RAM MAX: 2048 MB DDR-RAM
    POWER: LI-ION
    HD: 60 GB
    DRIVE: DVD/CDRW COMBO INTERN
    VGA: 64 MB DDR-RAM
    VIDEO CARD: ATI mobility Radeon 9000
    SOUNDSYSTEM: Realtek ALC201
    PORTS: 2x USB 2.0, VGA, parallel, PS/2, Modem, LAN, S-Video-out, FireWire, PCMCIA 2x Type II or 1x Type III
    MODEM: 56K/ V.90 INTERN
    NETWERK: 10/100
    DIM: 326 X 43, 6 X 275

Re: resolution problem

Quote Originally Posted by fungus
    Another annoying thing is that the black fonts are "color-shifted", the 'i', 'j' and 'l' have a blueish color, while small letters are washed out to a reddish color. Most fonts seem a bit blurry too.
    This is a feature which when correcly configured gives enchanced/clearer text on LCD screens (commonly used on laptops, it utilized the fact the the pixels are a tripplet of red, green and blue), I'm not under linux just now (on another computer) so I can't make a screen dump on how to change the settings, but there is some menu item under one of the settings submenus (which you'll find on the "start menu" thingy) with Two A's where you can adjust this setting (try look around), iirc it's a window with some text and radio-buttons.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Linux Engineer
    do this:

hold ctrl and alt key and press the numberpad + and - keys it will cycle through the available resolutions (unless that is only default SuSE functionality i dunno)

Just Joined!
    allrighty, problem solved.
    Thanks to you both!