Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have just finished Installing Red Hat 8.0 on my system. I have one user which is my self on the machine(not including the Root). Is there a way to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to assign administrative to sole user on RH8.0

I have just finished Installing Red Hat 8.0 on my system. I have one user which is my self on the machine(not including the Root). Is there a way to assign administrative abilities to the primary user of Red Hat 8.0 without logging in as root all the time???

And another question in Red Hat Linux i looked in to the hardware browser folder ( that is like control panel for windows) and it asked to log in the root password. I logged in however the screen flashed really fast and I didnt see any hardware in there??? IS there a way to look at all the hardware that is installed on my system????

Linux Engineer
    1. Add you user to the /etc/sudoers file so you can run command with root priv by doing sudo <command>

2. You can look at your hardware under /proc like cat /proc/pci will show all devices connected with pci. /proc/ide/ would have your devices connected to your ide controller. I am not sure exactly what you are looking for so I can't give you an exact location but you will be able to find it under /proc

Just Joined!
    no im looking for all of my hardware ....Just like windows has a control panel... I want to know the control panel for Red Hat 8.0...

(2) what actually is rootpriv? and sudo command??? I want the ability to make hardware changes and not have to login with root all the time. In other words i want to have full administratvie control with only one account installed on linux RH8.0???? Has anyone have any ideas on how to do this???

Linux User
    if you want to be root access all the time then just use root, the idea behind not being root is so your cant break things you shouldnt on accident - you could make a seperate administrator account like windows lets you do, but then you might as well just BE administrator (or root)

the idea behind sudo is you can login as a normal user, and when you do something and are told no that's wrong you can say oh yeah, i know what I am doing so sudo (or SuperUser DO it)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    if i log in as root ... will i still see the same Gui interface??? If not how do i activate it ???

Linux Engineer
    I told you how you can have root access as a user with sudo. Maybe you should type "man sudo" and learn how to use it. You can view all your hardware under /proc.

Linux Guru
    Viewing hardware under /proc isn't a vewry good idea if you're new to linux, though. It's not really the easiest interface. I don't know why, but the hardware browser doesn't work for me, either. This was the first time I started it. It's supposed to be the same thing as in the windows control panel, though.
    Try looking on redhat.com or submitting a bug report to them. Maybe they'll work it out.

Linux User
    my hardware browser works fine - you guys have any funky hardware? they say on startup that this may cause your machine to hang...
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    Nope... it just pops up the first little window which dissappears again almost immediately. I think it says that it's looking for hardware or something but I don't really have time to read it. I just tried once, though. When I ran it in a shell, it spat out some python error. It wasn't important enough to me to take the time to do anything with it.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by kilahchris
    if i log in as root ... will i still see the same Gui interface??? If not how do i activate it ???
    If will use the default settings like if you just first logged in. You could probably copy the configs over from your users home dir so the themes and other stuff are identical. I don't find the output form /proc/pci hard to read at all. Its not like it uses big words or anything

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast