Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
You just have to download them. They're probably even available as RPMs (try http://rpmfind.net/ ). Otherwise, try gentoo. If I've understood genlee correctly, you can probably install mostly anything on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

You just have to download them. They're probably even available as RPMs (try http://rpmfind.net/).
    Otherwise, try gentoo. If I've understood genlee correctly, you can probably install mostly anything on it.

Linux Engineer
    With gentoo, you practicly build your own distro. Only things that get installed is what you compile on it.

Linux User
    sounds like a less drastic version of LFS?
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Engineer
    Yes its like LFS but a little easier to install. I still have full control over my entire system. If I choose to, I could compile the entire system but I usually install a few binaries for a very basic system and then compile from there.

Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, I tried playing with Gentoo, but it is too automated to be a source-only. So it still hides things that I can't find. LFS will put things places and I can just kind of check the Makefiles and/or documentation to find out exactly what it did. Then change it to put it where I want
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    you might want to give Libranet a try....it's Debian based with a nice easy install process......

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by wassy121
    yeah, I tried playing with Gentoo, but it is too automated to be a source-only. So it still hides things that I can't find. LFS will put things places and I can just kind of check the Makefiles and/or documentation to find out exactly what it did. Then change it to put it where I want
    To automated, how so? You don't have to use the portage system to install or the rc-update scripts at all. I like the portage system since I can easily tell when there are updates and it makes it easy for me to d/l the new source. I was going to use lfs but its just to time consuming and I don't think my employers want to pay me to install my own workstation. They were already *****ing enough while gentoo was compiling

Linux Enthusiast
    genlee: I don't know, I haven't played with it too much, so all the things I have seen have been kind of problematic. Like I was unfamiliar with it putting the bootscripts in like /etc/runlevels or something like that. That and I couldn't get wireless to work on the laptop (someone else's laptop). Like I installed the net-wireless package, then I didn't know what to do next because I didn't know where the sources were with the documenation. I can get the laptop to load the modules, but the card doesn't turn on. That was my big complaint about it.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Engineer
    All the docs for the packages are at /usr/share/doc. All your boot scripts are in /etc/init.d. There is a script called rc-update which adds links from the script to a dir in /etc/runlevels. Its to organize how the scripts start so something like sshd doesnt start without the network being up. You shouldnt have to touch /etc/runlevels unless you don't want to use the script.

tim
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by pcroft
    you might want to give Libranet a try....it's Debian based with a nice easy install process......
    website?

also website for other distros u were talkin bout?

i think they only way i can have a good system if i build it myself... i just need lots of help thats all...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast