Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm newbie. I once used Mdk 9.2 on my desktop and liked it. Now i tried installing Linux on my laptop and everything is in vain. My laptop is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't install Linux. Very frustrated. Need help

Hi. I'm newbie. I once used Mdk 9.2 on my desktop and liked it. Now i tried installing Linux on my laptop and everything is in vain.

My laptop is P-II-300mhz 128mb sdram, 30gb hard disk. 2.5mb video ram 800x600 resolution. . It is 10 years old ultra light (1kg) laptop. It has NO floppy, NO built-in CDrom (only pcmcia) and NO network card. It is impossible to boot from cdrom - because it is external pcmcia cdrom, and there is not such option in bios.

As you see - i have a problem. I have no way to install ANY operating system w/o external help.
    This external help - is my friend's old laptop which is P3-750. This is a full 3kg laptop. with bulit-in floppy and built-in cdrom that it can boot from.

Till now I am using Win2000 on _my_ laptop. This is how i installed it. I opened my lap, took out hard disk , opened friends' laptop, put there my hard disk. Botted up from win98floppy w/ cdrom support , formatted C: , made drive C to be bootable drive, by executing command "sys c:". After that I copied Win2000 installation (I386 folder) to C: ( you know, It is impossible to install win2000 on one machine, and launch it on another). Than i put my hdd to my laptop back. Booted from harddisk (to dos of course), went to I386 folder, and launched win2000 setup from dos (winnt.exe). Installed successfully, and now using it for 2 years till now.

Now I wanted to try Linux, and I am UNABLE to install whatever I do.

-=Attempt 1=-

I was told that Ubunto 5.04 (and Kubuntu) is very fast and would sute for my old laptop. I took my friends laptop again, Tried to boot from Install CD - right after beginning (15 seconds after pressing "Enter" to agree to setup) screen went funny - like Night sky, getting little little more white. As i was told - It means that Ubuntu doesn't support my friend's laptop hardware (sis 630 chipset) and since I need his lap to install anything on mine - I have notheing to do.

-=Attempt 2=-

I took Suse 9 cd's. Took again my harddisk out of my laptop. Put in in friend's laptop again, Started installing Suse. Installation was successful. I installed all 5 cd's , and successfully booted up. (It automacically created boot option for win2000 at startup - multiple boot). Than I put my hard disk back to my laptop, and It didn't work!!!! It stops at very beginning, not responding to any commands, even help. Here is screenshot on where it stops:

I'm very frastrated.. Someone would say that I ask too much, Installing Suse 9 on one laptop, and launching it on another. But this process WORKED with Mdk once! Why can't this work with suse. (I can't use MDK on my laptop, becuase it is VERY SLOW compared to windows 2000, Even slower than Windows XP on P-300mhz/ 128mb ram.

If anyone have any Ideas of what more I can do - Please don't hasitate.

possibly an network install using a pcmcia 10/100 nic?
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for trying to help.

Even if I had pcmcia 10/100 nic - It wouldn't help, because There isn't such option in the bios to boot from Pcmcia. I have Pcmcia wifi card and usb-to-lan converter for that laptop, but this won't help me to solve the problem.

Is there any _light_ linux destribution that would work OK on P-2-300mhz/128mb ram AND can be installed on machine A and launched on machine B?

you might try DSL
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Just Joined!
    What is DSL.

Damn Small Linux
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Net-install; Boot from floppy

truoc444 Posted
    possibly an network install using a pcmcia 10/100 nic?
    With a Debian net-install you write three floppy disks: boot, root, and net-drivers. You machine boots and loads a minimal amount from the floppys and then proceeds with the installation over the www from a mirror site (presumably through your PCMCIA LAN adapter, not a PCMCIA boot). No CDs required.

Slax might be a decent idea, because it's based on Slackware, nice and light and AFAIK will keep its live disk boot scripts when installed. This means you should have less grief with booting on a PII after installing on a PIII, as any optimisations made during some installs could be bad for booting on different CPU generations. You could boot from a SLAX cd (180MB) on the PIII, install to the HDD and then pop it into the PII. Good luck! Failing that you could dd the Slax CD image to the HDD, partition the remaing space and boot it as a live disc, but that would be a bit of extra work,and not the cleanest.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for suggestion. And advising me Slax. I downloaded Slax live cd, read readme file, and found out that there is an option to boot from dos. I forgot to say that i have win98 installation along with win2000. So I just copied cd's contents to C:\Slax, launched win98, pressed F8, entered dos, went to C:\slax\boot\dos\linux.bat and booted from there.

I really like the slax It is very fast on my machine, even with bloated KDE.
    Performance is great. I can easily watch xvid movies and dvd's.
    There is an option to install Slax like real linux (not live cd), I even prepared separate partition for that. The only problem is that when i go to "Install Slax option" - I cannot press "OK" button. In fact, i cannot reach "OK" button anywhere because lcd pannel works only in 640x480 mode. I tried configuring display pannel option in kde, but there's only 640x480. So whatever i do - i cannot reach the "OK" button at the bottom. I even moved bottom bar to the top but still can't reach it. Not sure what to do.

But anyway, Thanks for help. This is a minor problem. It seems that i have to learn some things anyway . More important - is that I succesfully booted Linux and i like it.

Tip - hold right Alt key and you can drag a window from anywhere you click on it.

Did you try
    Code:
    gui "kde" "1024x768" "60"
    or
    Code:
    gui "kde" "800x600" "60"
    The last figure is for the refresh rate, you can mess around a bit, and if you make a mess press CTRL+ALT+Backspace to kill the XServer.