Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: In concern to security, which Distro LISTED (I don't think I'm capable of installing Slackware) is t

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fedora

1 6.67%
  • Suse

2 13.33%
  • Gentoo

4 26.67%
  • Mandriva

0 0%
  • FreeBSD

6 40.00%
  • Redhat

2 13.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
i have some virtual server space that runs apache. why would you use an apache server? can it perform things linux or bsd can't? or does it just go about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

why apache?

i have some virtual server space that runs apache. why would you use an apache server? can it perform things linux or bsd can't? or does it just go about it in a different way?

Just Joined!
    i voted FreeBSD, althought is not linux....

i think itīs one of the most used on the internet, its stabillity is really good...
    my second choise would be RedHat, because thatīs what they do, an OS for enterprices, i wouldnt choose fedora, because its like the testing doll of red hat, you never know what you can find, thought is great for desktop...

my third choice woul be hmmmmm.... gentoo or suse.... gentoo gets you optimal peformance an suse, i donīt know any other reason than YAST (i love it!).

i wouldnt choose slack for two reason:
    - no package management.
    - not easy, i know gentoo is harder but at least it optimices your pc compiling everything from source.

bye...

pd: i do thing that debian shoul be on the list...

Just Joined!

ty

i didn't put debian on my list because it would be easier for me, considering my task list after getting a server up and running, to not even consider a deb distro. mostly, this is because some peeps i'm working on some of my projects with say they would prefer not to use these tyes of distros. i guess i would be considered the director of most of these projects, but the other peeps are working on specific areas because they know more than i about their tasks.....so i'm sticking with their recommendations. i have too much to learn right now, which doesn't allow for any time on figuring out why a debian distro wouldn't work well for us. at least for now.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer

Re: why apache?

Quote Originally Posted by ahs10
    i have some virtual server space that runs apache. why would you use an apache server? can it perform things linux or bsd can't? or does it just go about it in a different way?
    Apache is a webserver running on top of linux, bsd or even windows. You basicly set up a linux/bsd/whatever server, install and setup apache on it and then you have a webserver.

Just Joined!

omg!!!

wow thanks jedi howie (any bb6 fans out there?), you have no frickin frackin idea how much your last post just clarified for me. sweet bra, you rock. if i wasn't so sure of my ability to teach myself, i'd say i'm in over my head here. guess james redfield was right, reason for everything. thanks again my friend. take it easy.

laters..........10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2