Find the answer to your Linux question:
My question is you use the MD5 checksum that comes with whatever distro you download and then you use something like "MD5summer" and it recreates the MD5 checksum after you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MD5 Question

My question is you use the MD5 checksum that comes with whatever distro you download and then you use something like "MD5summer" and it recreates the MD5 checksum after you have downloaded the ISO now this is where I get confused are they suppose to look identical or not?
    cause when I compare my "fedora core 4" they are not identical but I have "Slamd64-10.2" and the MD5's are identical??

Thanks in advance

NOOB OUT

Linux Engineer
    IIRC you should put the md5-file in the same folder as the iso, and run "md5sum -c file.md5" to check the md5sum. And yes, I beleve the MD5 should be identical.

Just Joined!
    Can I do that from windows and the program Iam using is called "MD5summer".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    2 identical files will have the same md5 hash. If they are not identical, the hases will be different.

Just Joined!
    Well how come like my Live CD's like Auditor, Knoppix 4.0 DVD, Whax 3.0 they work fine boot and all?

And what can I do to prevent this from happening? could it be because I use DAP ( Download Accelerator Plus)??

And what is a Sha1sum?

Just Joined!
    After this just started checking all of my ISO's and when it came to ISO "Whoppix-2.7.1.-final.iso" I found three different hashs when was looking for it and one of them matched