Find the answer to your Linux question:
Title pretty much says it all, I had to reinstall Windows XP Prof and it destroyed the dual boot I had. I'm not too sure how to get back into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Enabling Dual Boot after WinXP Install

Title pretty much says it all,
    I had to reinstall Windows XP Prof and it destroyed the dual boot I had. I'm not too sure how to get back into Fedora Core 3. Any help would be appreciated. If this has been posted before, please direct me.

Thanks

PS: Main partition is Windows. Second is Linux.

Linux Enthusiast
    You might want to look at the GRUB documentation:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/
    Once you get a boot loader installed, you can boot to any operating system you want.

Linux Guru
    Yeah. it's been posted before, plenty. Basically, you will want to use your Fedora install CD to boot into rescue mode (F5) and then, I think mount your root partition, chroot into your system and then reinstall Grub. Try searching here with those keywords, particularly in the Fedora forum. Also, check nerderello's Grub tutorial in the Linux Tutorials tab at the top of this page. And be sure and make a Grub boot floppy for future convenience.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Newbie
    You have to do a grub-install /dev/hda, after you have chrooted. This should solve it, however, Windows may continue to destroy the MBR, which happened to me.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade
    You have to do a grub-install /dev/hda, after you have chrooted. This should solve it, however, Windows may continue to destroy the MBR, which happened to me.
    Continue to??! I haven't heard of this, can you elaborate? Do you mean that XP may try to "repair" an MBR with Grub installed to it?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade
    Continue to??! I haven't heard of this, can you elaborate? Do you mean that XP may try to "repair" an MBR with Grub installed to it?
    Yes. I am currently having that problem on my laptop. Installing GRUB on MBR works fine, but every time I boot WinXP the MBR is "repaired" and GRUB disappears. It is very frustrating, especially since I don't have a floppy drive. Basically, every time I am going to boot Linux after having booted Windows, I must reinstall GRUB from the installation cd, then reboot and start Linux from the harddrive.

Linux Guru
    budman7 thinks you must have a virus according to this post.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    Well, that would be very strange indeed. It is not only me who has had this problem with laptops running both WinXP and Linux.

Why else would there be a solution/workaround?