Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I'm trying to install SUSE 9.3 and after much google searching I still haven't found an answer. My Md5sums all match up, and I thought everything was kosher. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Black Screen on SUSE 9.3 install

So I'm trying to install SUSE 9.3 and after much google searching I still haven't found an answer. My Md5sums all match up, and I thought everything was kosher. I put in cd1 and the install screen loads. Now I've tried all 3 options to install and on every one of them I get text and it recognizes everything. Then it says it's loading Yast and my screen flickers and then goes black with a very dark black line along the left hand side. The last thing I see before it does this is:

Found a Linux console or /dev/console/

Then it flickers 3 or 4 times and goes blank and I have to unplug my pc to get it to shut off. Any help would be appreciated.

System specs:
    Intel Celeron CPU
    1.20 Ghz
    512 MB Ram
    NEC Nr-7900A CD/RW drive
    Intel 82815 Graphics controller

(Everything is updated and said to be working properly in device manager) I'm also running WinXP Pro.

Thanks in advance!

i don't remember if suse will allow it, but try booting with acpi=off and see if that helps. also does a text based install work?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    I tried installing with acpi=off and it did the same thing. I thought it was doing a text install as the screen was black with white text, but maybe I'm missing something? If so, how do I make it do a text install?

is there any other error before it fails?

for text based install, do this: Press F2 before pressing enter on the installation option when the cd boots.

The install you are trying to do now, is the graphical install, with text install, you don't get any fancy graphics and the like. All you get is basic text based menus and stuff (like an old dos program of sorts).

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I got the Text install to work for CD1. Now I just can't get it to read CD2 *sigh*.

does it give an error for cd 2? i thought you had to select packages and the like and suse will ask you to enter the respective cd's when apliciable.

Just Joined!
    Yes, it asks me to insert CD2 and hit [OK] and when I do it just waits a couple of minutes and asks me to insert CD2 again.

sounds like cd 2 may be corrupted during burn. try burning at a lower speed.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, the CD2 was corrupted. I ended up ftp installing and am now successfully running SUSE 9.3 !