Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi: I hope somebody can help me. I have an Intel PC with Red Hat Linux 8.0. The problem is that the hard drive where I installed it was too ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding a new HD

Hi:

I hope somebody can help me. I have an Intel PC with Red Hat Linux 8.0. The problem is that the hard drive where I installed it was too small and I don't have enough space to keep working, so I bought and connected a 20 GB IDE hard disk as slave device. The question is: how can I assign more space to the existing partitions using the space of the new HD?

Help me please!! :o

Just Joined!
    I might be wrong here, but the way you asked the question I have to answer: you can't.

Again, those with more knowledge correct me if I am wrong, but a parition is a logical separation in one single physical hard drive. As such, by definition it cannot span two hard drives.

I think what you are asking is: how do you USE the space on the hard drive?

You probably have to format it for Linux. If you want to use the new hard drive other OS, then you should partition it so each has its own paritition. THEN you mount it, and it should show up on your desktop.

Linux User
    Yeah you can't share space between drives for one partition. You could, however, make partitons on the new drive and move whatever you want over. Just make sure you use the -R option when moving to maintain any permission settings on any of the files, ie mv -R.

Linux Engineer
    mv will always retain file permissions. I don't even think -R is a valid flag.

Just Joined!
    If your original disk was an "LVM" disk, then you could. Sounds to me like you want to "extend" certain file systems? For example, if /home was only 1 GB, and you wanted to extend it to 2GB, can you do this?

yes, with LVM. vgextend, lvextend...

One way would be to get an entire backup of your current system, start over now, making sure to format with "LVM". Now you can "extend" and "reduce" file systems across disks.