Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking to put Damn Small Linux on a USB stick and be able to boot from it. I have some qustions though. If I have other files on it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

DSL on a USB drive

I'm looking to put Damn Small Linux on a USB stick and be able to boot from it. I have some qustions though. If I have other files on it will that be bad in any way? Will I be able to save desktop environment changes, files, etc normally on to the USB drive as though it were a harddrive? Could I have 2 separate partitions on the USB stick... if i could how would i specify which partition for it to install on (DSL has a function to automatically put it on USB drive)? Basically I dont just want it to boot the same way every time. I want it to be like I'm carrying MY own computer around with me- files, programs, configuration files, everything. Though I want it to boot live everytime, I dont want it to be fresh. Also, would there be a way for me to access the harddrive thats in the computer (i.e. C:/ drive on a windows pc)?

Keep in mind that I googled and searched, only to get outdated, mixed answers. Surprisingly enough it's hard to find info on this.

Thanks,
    Dan

Linux Engineer
    I belive you can install DSL on it, save changes you've done to the USB thumbdrive, and use any remaining space for your files. Yes you can partitionate the stick, just as you partitionate a harddrive. You can access the C:-drive yes, by mounting it to a spesified mountpoint. If you add an entry in /etc/fstab, you can make the thumbdrive automaticly mount C: at boot.

Linux Newbie
    sweet. would it be ok to install it on the USB drive first, then partition? also, what filesystems should/can i use on a flash drive?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close