Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I just got SimplyMEPIS up and running last night (first time running linux ^^). Anyway, when I did use windows, my favorite Media Player was VLC. I want it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing VLC media player; Need help ; ;

Ok, I just got SimplyMEPIS up and running last night (first time running linux ^^). Anyway, when I did use windows, my favorite Media Player was VLC. I want it back! I was reading around on the Mepis website and some people were saying that Mepis has VLC install files built in. However, I was not successful at retrieving these. I just wanted to know if there was another way to DL a version of VLC for SimplyMEPIS, and how I would go about installing it. Please help me out! And remember, I am a complete NEWB when it comes to linux, so please bare with me ; ;

Re: Installing VLC media player; Need help ; ;

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia
    Ok, I just got SimplyMEPIS up and running last night (first time running linux ^^). Anyway, when I did use windows, my favorite Media Player was VLC. I want it back! I was reading around on the Mepis website and some people were saying that Mepis has VLC install files built in. However, I was not successful at retrieving these. I just wanted to know if there was another way to DL a version of VLC for SimplyMEPIS, and how I would go about installing it. Please help me out! And remember, I am a complete NEWB when it comes to linux, so please bare with me ; ;
    SimplyMEPIS uses DEB package management, which as a SuSE-9.3 user, I know nothing about (SuSE uses the RPM system).

You could try building from source, although that might be too much expect with your having just installed linux for the first time last night.

Anyway, the VLC web site is here:
    http://www.videolan.org/

VLC download page is here:
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Source Code (for compiling/building yourself) is here:
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html

Installation instructions are here:
    http://www.videolan.org/doc/vls-user-guide/en/ch02.html

In particular, note some of the dependencies (packages you must install first) are:
    * libdvbpsi (always needed)
    * libdvdcss if you want to be able to access encrypted DVDs ,
    * libdvdread if you want to be able to stream DVDs ,
    * libdvb if you want to be able to stream from a DVB card (a satellite card or a digital terrestial TV card).

Note if you decide to take the plunge and compile from source, per always, (and ONLY if you have met/installed the dependencies), you should read any README and INSTALL text files in the tarball package, and then most likely you must execute:
    ./configure
    make
    Then change to root permissions via typing "su" and entering root password. Then type
    make install

You will get error/warning messages along the way, if the above process fails.

Did I say you MUST address the dependencies first before compiling vlc?

Good luck.

I think it should be on the repositories. In a console, use the 'su' command to become root. Next, do 'apt-get update', and when that's done, try 'apt-get install vlc'. An easier way would be to use synaptic (I seem to remember it's SimplyMepis' default gui package manager). Find it in the menu, probably under system. When it open up, select the 'search' and you should find vlc.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close