Find the answer to your Linux question:
I managed to kill my Debian Woody install the other day (I'm a newbie!) and so I decided to just go for a full Sid (unstable) installation. I started with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian: slow downloads during net install

I managed to kill my Debian Woody install the other day (I'm a newbie!) and so I decided to just go for a full Sid (unstable) installation.

I started with a 2.4 kernel install off the cd. I then finished up the install from the internet. I did not install any packages yet, I just started with a "clean" base install.

I then configured my sources.list file with only unstable sources and ran:
    apt-get update
    apt-get autoclean
    apt-get dist-upgrade

During the entire base/distro upgrade from the net, I was maintaining about 350kB/s download speed of deb's. Everything went fine during the install and configuration. (Roughly 40mb's of files were downloaded in less than 2 minutes... The base install took roughly 30 minutes total.)

I then ran dselect to install X, Gnome, Open Office and several other utilities... Yes, I know a bunch of stuff at once. It lists about 350 files. Now the download speeds are averaging roughly 4000B/s!!!! (The install is listing right at about 24 hours!!!!).

I at first thought I had just grabbed a bad connection so I aborted the install and restarted but then I connected at the same speeds again. Then thinking that "possibly" I had done something wrong, I completely restarted (clean install again!) That wasn't it either!!!!

I know that during the install that a number of process are started and are probably eating into memory, but should this be a problem with downloads?

Just as some background the pc is a Pentium Pro 200, 64mbs ram (I will be upgrading this!), 4gb scsi drive/256mb swap, the rest root. I'm using a SMC-EtherEZ ISA card with SMC-Ultra drivers loaded during the Debconf portion of the install. I then selected DHCP for my internet connection (Linksys cable/dsl router).

Ifconfig shows 247kB/s download and 41kB/s upload...

Does anyone have any thoughts or should I buy a set of Sid cd's???

Thanks in advance for your help!

RSC

Linux Engineer
    Try installing netselect-apt or apt-spy. Actually, if you have that router, netselect-apt will not work (that was one of the reasons why I dumped it back to Linksys) but apt-spy should work. It will probe all the Debian dump sites for speed and bandwidth. Make sure you read the manpages. I usually only use the Debian sites since they always have the latest packages. The mirrors sometimes don't synchronize their packages fast enough.

Let me know if you are still having trobule. Oh, and I should warn you, while unstable is very nice, packages are updated almost on a daily basis. Stability is still great but once in a while, you might experience some weird problems.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!

Slow download speeds after Sid install...

Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    Try installing netselect-apt or apt-spy. Actually, if you have that router, netselect-apt will not work (that was one of the reasons why I dumped it back to Linksys) but apt-spy should work. It will probe all the Debian dump sites for speed and bandwidth. Make sure you read the manpages. I usually only use the Debian sites since they always have the latest packages. The mirrors sometimes don't synchronize their packages fast enough.

Let me know if you are still having trobule. Oh, and I should warn you, while unstable is very nice, packages are updated almost on a daily basis. Stability is still great but once in a while, you might experience some weird problems.
    I'm sorry for just now getting back with you. I will look into your suggestion. Someone on another forum suggested that the problem "may" be with the kernel itself... He suggested loading xconsole (which I have been unable to start.... "no screen" errors...) and looking for fragmentation errors during downloads. It just seems strange to me that I was consistantly downloading 350kB/s during the initial install and then abruptly went to 14kB/s or less...

I'm kind of in a "just use it" mode right now... I'd certainly like the faster download speeds that I've grown accoustomed to, but for a learning pc, I can live with it. I'm now quite ready in my experience to compile a new kernel yet.

Yes, I know what you mean about Sid "changing daily". I ended up putting all of my installed packages on "hold" just to keep things running! (I updated the package list last night and it wanted to install about 300 "upgradable" packages!)

I'll install apt-spy when I have the chance just to "see" what I should be getting. If you have any other thoughts, let me know!

Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re: Slow download speeds after Sid install...

Quote Originally Posted by robbow52
    I'm now quite ready in my experience to compile a new kernel yet.
    Sorry!!! That should be "not" quite ready to compile a new kernel!!!!!