Find the answer to your Linux question:
Aloha, I currently have Fedora Core 4 at HDA2 as a Logical Vol and Windows XP at HDB2. I want to install Suse but when I boot off the install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Tribooting

Aloha,
    I currently have Fedora Core 4 at HDA2 as a Logical Vol and Windows XP at HDB2. I want to install Suse but when I boot off the install CD all it seems to want to do is get rid of Fedora. How can I set this up to boot to any of the three?
    Mahalo,
    Edward
    GNU/Linux is a powerful Free OS. Fear is a powerful motivator. Freedom is sweet. Fear GNU/Linux. Savor Freedom.

this depends.
    you have two hard drives, then? hda and hdb? which would you like to install suse on and how much of it is taken up by the respective operating system?

suse usually gives three options
    1)update current linux system
    2)install over current linux system
    3)use existing free space

if you don't get the option "use existing free space"..that means that you don't have any. You may have free space in windows... or free space in fedora...but that free space is specific to those operating systems. You will probably have to resize partitions in order to allow suse to use it.

Do you have experience resizing partitions? or are you fairly new to this? if you are... don't fret. Would you post the "/etc/fstab" file in fedora?
    Avatar from xkcd.com, a hilarious computer related webcomic.

Linux Newbie

Triboot

Aloha,
    Ok here is my fstab:
    # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    /dev/shm /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/sys /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdb2 /mnt/WindowsXP ntfs defaults,users,noauto 0 0
    #/dev/sdc /mnt/USBFloppy auto defaults,users,noauto 0 0
    /dev/sda /media/floppy auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
    /dev/hdd /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder1 auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
    /dev/sdf1 /media/IDW_IO_D001 vfat pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r :removable_t,managed 0 0
    My XP drive is /dev/hdb2, dev/hdb1 is the recovery partition for it. Fedora is loaded on /dev/hda as a Logical Vol 00. I want to put Suse on /dev/hdb by resizing XP down and creating a new partition there. So I would /dev/hdb1 recovery part, /dev/hdb2 XP and /dev/hdb3 suse. It is an 80 gig drive and windows is taking less than half I am sure. I am not sure how to resize partitions.
    Mahalo,
    Edward
    GNU/Linux is a powerful Free OS. Fear is a powerful motivator. Freedom is sweet. Fear GNU/Linux. Savor Freedom.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ok, first of all i must warn you that resizing a partition is considered risky and you should backup your data before continuing.

I resized a windows partition without too much trouble with something called "system rescue cd" which is a live cd that contains a partition magic clone called QtParted.

here is the site: www.sysresccd.org
    you can read more about it and download the iso.

before you resize your windows partition, you'll have to defragment it. You can do this with one of the windows utilities.

then you can boot the "system rescue cd" and use QtParted. it's pretty user friendly. just click on the right hard drive (hdb) and select the partition to resize and there should be an option to resize it.

once you have resized it suse should realize that there is free space and you should be able to have it install to that free space.

good luck. if there are any more questions, feel free to post again
    Avatar from xkcd.com, a hilarious computer related webcomic.