Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently run Mandrake 10.1 (dual boot with XP) and I'd like to give Suse Linux a try (got 9.3 on DVD with a magazine). For Linux I currently have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partition and Install Advice Needed

I currently run Mandrake 10.1 (dual boot with XP) and I'd like to give Suse Linux a try (got 9.3 on DVD with a magazine). For Linux I currently have a root partition, swap partition and a 'home' partition. What I'd like to do is create a new directory in the home partition (so it won't get deleted - I plan to not format that partition during install) so that I can dump some files into it. I'm worried that if I just put them in the /home directory, Suse will overwrite with its own /home on installation (even if I choose not to format the partition) and I'll lose my files. I have a backup of most of my data on CD it's only recent stuff that I was hoping to do this with. So in a nutshell I want to create a directory on the /home partition, but not in the /home directory.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Sorry, just reading that again, maybe it's not clear that I'm going to remove Mandrake and replace it with Suse, not install Suse in addition.

Linux Engineer
    The /home directory itself will be created on the root partition (/). The home partition will be mounted in there. If you tell SuSE to use that /home partition, it won't delete anything normally. So you can safely put new data on it also.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Okay, thanks for that - here goes then...

Re: Partition and Install Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by gododdin
    I'm worried that if I just put them in the /home directory, Suse will overwrite with its own /home on installation (even if I choose not to format the partition) and I'll lose my files. I have a backup of most of my data on CD it's only recent stuff that I was hoping to do this with. So in a nutshell I want to create a directory on the /home partition, but not in the /home directory.
    Cynic that I tend to be, I would back up everything. You never know what could go wrong.

Just Joined!
    Well, I did back up the latest data to be on the safe side, but as it happened all went well and Suse 9.3 is now up and running well, with no data loss. Thanks for all the advice.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by gododdin
    Well, I did back up the latest data to be on the safe side, but as it happened all went well and Suse 9.3 is now up and running well, with no data loss. Thanks for all the advice.
    Congratulations, and thanks for letting us know it worked out. Have fun with SuSE.

Some SuSE specific 3rd party rpm sites that are worth knowing about:

Packman
    http://packman.links2linux.org/

Guru

http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/