Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Network Setup

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Network Setup

Hi

I have recently set up a new installation of Red Hat 7.3 to play with as I get the time. I already have an E-smith machine running as a gateway to 2 Windows machines, which is all A-OK. Originally when I set up my new RH installation I had it running across my network no probs. But as I have not been able to play with it for several weeks I shut it down as it's not the newest of hardware and the fans starts playing up after a while.

Anyway, since starting it again I've not been able to see it across my network. I have my E-smith machine set to 192.168.0.1 acting as a server and gateway and it controls DNS across the network. The Red Hat box in question is, supposed, to be set at 192.168.0.4. However when I go into "setup" and go to Network configuration I enter the following details:

IP: 192.168.0.4
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0 (same as all the other machines on the network)

After setting these it automatically loads the following:

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.254
    Primary Nameserver: 192.168.0.1

I have set the Default Gateway to 192.168.0.1 - as I assmue this is the correct setting. But I've also tried leaving it at 192.168.0.254

The strange thing is that after I have made these changes the next time I go back to Network Configuration all these details are empty and the Dynamic IP is unchecked.

The other thing, which I am not sure if it is connected, is that I cannot set the firewall to anything but "High", it just defaults back to High next time I enter the firewall setting. Its as if the settings in setup just aren't working. I am logged on as root.

Anyway, all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Linux Engineer
    Those X-programs sucks.. open a terminal instead switch to the root-user.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network to this

Code:
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=yourhostname
    and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to this

Code:
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    ONBOOT=yes
    IPADDR=192.168.0.4
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    FORWARD_IPV4=no
    Then restart your network with /etc/init.d/network restart

Verify with ifconfig that you have set your new ipadress, try to ping your gateway and other windows boxes..
    Regards

Andutt

OK

Thanks heaps for the help andutt

I tried doing all those things, and everything was basically in the right place, unfortunately though it's still not up and running. One thing I did notice is that when I run ifconfig it has the following line in it:

inet addr: 192.168.0.4 Bcast: 192.168.0.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0

I am not sure what the "Bcast" means, and is it correct?

Also, in all this I haven't seen a DNS setting. My E-smith machine handles DNS for the network, could this be the problem?

Cheers!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    bcast mean the broadcast address and it should be the last address in ur ip range
    plus use the ifconfig to set up the ips of ur linux machin

-Dewey-