Find the answer to your Linux question:
After reading a lot of helpful topics in here i successuflly installed after 4-5 times of formats...both suse 9.3 and windows xp .. The procedure i followed was that : ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse 9.3 & win xp...installed normally but..

After reading a lot of helpful topics in here i successuflly installed after 4-5 times of formats...both suse 9.3 and windows xp ..
    The procedure i followed was that : (in the case that it is needed for the answer i wanted)
    First of all i installed Suse ..in a hard disk , i made a partition inside the YaST about 10 GB... installation was succesfull and i was enjoying the graphic environment of SUSE..
    Next i tryed to install the windows xp to the other partition of the same hard disk (25 GB)...i format it from cd of windows FAT32 and i install the windows XP normally there......
    When i rebooted my PC the booting was immediately at win xp and not a choice...i finished the installation of win xp....
    The i put again the suse cd and i a running the repair of the installed suse..
    It corrected some errors...i reboot the PC and then i have normally the choice of linux or windows.. well windows are running perfectly but SuSe starts in something like a dos-mode (i have to type the commands as dos) and not in the graphical design.....
    what do i have to do now in order to have the linux to run in graphic design ?
    Thank you and sorry for my bad English..

when youlogin as normal user, try running this command: startx to get back to a gui.

Now if you want a gui for suse every time you start, do the following after you have gotten into the gui:
    1. Open up a terminal window and execute thsi command:
    Code:
    su -
    <enter root pass>
    kate /etc/inittab
    kate is a graphical text editor, you can use any other text editor e.g. kwrite, gedit, vi, emacs etc.
    the /etc/inittab file tells the system which way it should boot.
    the su stuff is because only root can edit the /etc/inittab file.

now, look for a line like this in the /etc/inittab file which is open in the text editor:
    Code:
    id&#58;3&#58;initdefault
    change the 3 to a 5 in the above line so that the above line looks like:
    Code:
    id&#58;5&#58;initdefault
    now, save the file and exit the editing program. Now, whenever you boot suse, you will have graphical logins and stuff.

Oh, next time you install windows and linux together, install windows first, then linux. That way you don't have any problems regarding bootloaders and stuff.
    When you partition drive during windows install, assign 25 gigs for windows and leave the remainder unformatted. Now when you try to install linux, it will see the unformatted space and ask to install there.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Well before i proceed to this command...i tried startx (before i see this post) and it works fine..but i see that it logs me as a user because etc when i do log off it says end current session and it returns to command line..
    how will i do it to go inside the graphical interphace as an administrator ?

Another important issue is that , when i do changes in properties etc in hardware it doesn't save them...(etc the network card for the adsl)
    i think that the problem is that i am not getting inside as the administrator....but i am not sure..

To get into the GUI as root, you have to login to the text mode as root, then use the 'startx' command as root. This is usually a BAD idea though, because you don't want to do unsafe things as root. You're also more vulnerable to attacks if you're logged in as root.

As far as aDSL, dunno what to do there. Sorry.

i don't think suse will allow for a graphical root login because kde 3.4 forbids it. For dsl, just login to the gui as a normal user and launch yast (KMenu -> System -> yast). once you have provided yast with the root password, you can change the dsl settings to your hearts content.

now for the inittab file, do as i said in previous post i.e. login to gui as normal user and then use su command to become root in the command line. and follow instructions in my previous post.

and lastly the shutdown options. KMenu -> Control Center -> KDE components -> Session Manager. Check the offer shutdown options tab.

I confess - guilty as charged.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    i don't think suse will allow for a graphical root login because kde 3.4 forbids it.
    Ahh, ... well ..... actually, you can log on to SuSE-9.3 as user "root".

I rather bashfully confess that I am very guilty (but only very rarely) of bad practises, as one can log in SuSE-9.3 as user root. On one occasion I graphically logged into KDE-3.4 as user "root" as I wanted to quickly change the ICON for a system partition (/windows) on my desktop (I put a "Gates of Borg" icon as my /windows directory icon), and I was too lazy to figure out the permissions/methodology to do that logged into KDE as user "oldcpu".

strange, when i tried graphical login, it didn't allow me through. anyways, i use the command line to do basic root tasks, so theres no need for graphical root logins for me.

Just Joined!

logging in as root

Among the distros i use, the following use KDE 3.4 : Kanotix 2005-3, Super
    Suse 10.0, Underground 012, and PCLInuxos .9. You can log in as root
    in all of them and of course i ALWAYS do because i'm a power hungry dude.

Re: logging in as root

Quote Originally Posted by MepisMagic
    You can log in as root in all of them and of course i ALWAYS do because i'm a power hungry dude.
    Mirror mirror on the wall .... do I sense a troll? You did read the guidelines about trolling?

http://www.linuxforums.org/rules.php
    No Trolls - "Trolling" is not acceptable here at linuxforums.org, and we operate a strict anti-troll policy. A "troll post" shall be defined for the purposes of this discussion as any post designed to bring out a flood of angry/predicatable responses.