Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
taking the plunge this weekend. installing fc4. curious as to which browser to use, firefox or opera? any pros or cons? thx...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

browser

taking the plunge this weekend. installing fc4. curious as to which browser to use, firefox or opera? any pros or cons? thx

Personnaly I'd go for Firefox, since the free (as in beer) Opera has adds in it, while Firefox doesn't. But remember there are other browsers in linux such a konqueror, and gnome has one to (I can't remember what it's called).

The best of luck.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Personnaly I'd go for Firefox, since the free (as in beer) Opera has adds in it, while Firefox doesn't. But remember there are other browsers in linux such a konqueror, and gnome has one to (I can't remember what it's called).

The best of luck.

dylunio
    Recently Opera comes free without banners. And IMHO Firefox simply cannot match Opera .

The Gnome browser is called Epiphany.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Recently Opera comes free without banners. And IMHO Firefox simply cannot match Opera .
    Yup, Opera is now free and without banners. I've started using it in windows, but there are a couple of things I miss in it (when compared with firefox, such as the way the bookmarks are displayed on the left side, and how you can't customize the tool bar as much), so for now I'm sticking to FF. Though I did test it out a bit, since it claims to be the fastest browser, and it is a bit faster than FF (this was in windows, not linux), though on an older computer, Kmeleon was even faster (at least it was faster to run, displaying of sites was about the same).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Enthusiast
    When I am in the mood for something lightning quick I use beaver, otherwise it is firefox, or konquerer.

oz
    forum.guy
    firefox

Linux Engineer
    for gnome there is also galeon, better than epiphany I think; however, firefox is great, and dillo is about the fastest that I've used, and it keeps getting better and better, they even have tabs now...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer
    I just don't like Opera. Plus it's non-free. And Firefox comes with Fedora and most other distros.

However I might switch to Konqueror when KDE 3.5 comes out since Konqueror 3.5 has an Adblock thing built in like Firefox's Adblock extension.

Linux User
    I mainly use firefox coz there is a lot of funny extensions, it's very rich a browser and very customizable (and not only for the skin ).
    Elinks not bad either. I try Opera but was quickly bothered with the little adds...

Firefox really is very hard to beat. Although if you want lightning fast, you could use Links-graphics. No question it is the fastest browser out there, although it doesn't yet do ipv6. Not to worry, ipv4 is still everywhere. Galeon is respectably fast as well.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast