Find the answer to your Linux question:
I apologise if you are not allowed to post in more than one category, I have used Linux for many years, since 1997. I have converted a friend of mine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help Please! Can Install, but not boot Linux...

I apologise if you are not allowed to post in more than one category,
    I have used Linux for many years, since 1997. I have converted a friend of mine to Linux awhile back. He just upgraded his computer and wants me to install Linux again for him. He has a brand new computer but still has his old hard drive along with a brand new Maxtor hard drive. In Windows the old hard drive is configured as the "F" drive. It looks like the old hard drive is an IDE type, it has a grey flat ribbon cable attatching it to the motherboard (915g Combo) The new hard drive, where he has his latest install of XP and all of his wifes files is a different type of drive, it has an orange cable attatched to it, I think it says Serial ATA and it is connected to the motherboard also. there is also a connector of some type with red,black and yellow wires connecting the two hard drives together. Is this a Raid? When I go into the Bios there is an option for boot sequence, besides the floppy and two cd drives of, HDD: Pm-Maxtor and Raid: WDC. I have managed to install both Suse 9.1 and Mandrake 2005 Le, the install goes flawlessly, but when I try to boot into the install, (Windows boots by the way), I get the following error message: Kernel Panic, not syncing: attempting to kill init
    Can someone please help me?? I've tried messing around with the Bios settings, but not sure what the problem is............

Linux Engineer
    Post at least 10 lines before the kernel panic. Kernel panics can be caused by many things.

Just Joined!
    call trace: pcibios_sort
    pcibios_init
    init
    init
    kernel_thread_helper

Code: 2e 8a 83 96 04 00 00 66 5b 8a d8
    kernel panic: attempted to kill init:

I'm not sure if this is a Sata Maxtor hard drive problem, or a grub problem or a 915g MSI motherboard problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close