Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hye all there I have just installed the Red Hat Linux 8.0, on my windowsXP machine. I am new to linux. I want to browse the internet from my linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to access the internet through ISA Server from Linux box

Hye all there I have just installed the Red Hat Linux 8.0, on my windowsXP machine. I am new to linux. I want to browse the internet from my linux box, I use the Win2k server and ISA Server 2000 as internet sharing. Any body could help me? I have only one pc of liux in my office I am tired to doing all with this. Plzz tell me how to access the internet through ISA Server. Linux gets the IP address from DHCP.

Some one has told me to give the Default Gateway, I am confued where to give it, and also how to edit for the "Hosts.conf" file , and what is it use.Please tell me

Linux Engineer
    Tiy basicly type this
    Code:
    dhcpcd eth0
    which will connect you to the net using dhcp. You can set your box up to automaticly do that at boot but it varies by distro. The hosts file is a map of hostname to addresses. For example
    127.0.0.1 localhost alias.host <- maps that ip to your localhost and creastes the alias to localhost alias.host

123.123.123.123 server1 <- would map that ip to the hostname server1. So you could just type ftp server1 and it would resolve that hostname to the ip.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by genlee
    Tiy basicly type this
    Code:
    dhcpcd eth0
    which will connect you to the net using dhcp. You can set your box up to automaticly do that at boot but it varies by distro. The hosts file is a map of hostname to addresses. For example
    127.0.0.1 localhost alias.host <- maps that ip to your localhost and creastes the alias to localhost alias.host

123.123.123.123 server1 <- would map that ip to the hostname server1. So you could just type ftp server1 and it would resolve that hostname to the ip.
    hye geniee,

I m newbie. I have no idea what u have said me what is this DHCPcd etho
    and what to do access the internet also tell me why i m unable to access the internet although I have given the Proxies in my mozilla web browser. and also refer me a biggners book or what ever you like. Plzz tell me

Linux Enthusiast
    okay, open a console. This can be xterm, rxvt, or Konsole. This should give you a black box that just says "bash-2.05 $" or "user@computer $" or something like that. This is where you change to root by typing `su` into the black box, they pressing return. A text message will come up saying "enter root password". Enter your root password here. After it is entered correctly it will say "bash-2.0.5 #" or "user@computer #" notice the hash mark instead of the dollar sign. Now type what he said before with "dhcpcd eth0". Remember capitalization matters. Almost everything is lower case.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    Revision: Don't type su, type "su -" instead, or it will probably not find the command.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wassy121
    okay, open a console. This can be xterm, rxvt, or Konsole. This should give you a black box that just says "bash-2.05 $" or "user@computer $" or something like that. This is where you change to root by typing `su` into the black box, they pressing return. A text message will come up saying "enter root password". Enter your root password here. After it is entered correctly it will say "bash-2.0.5 #" or "user@computer #" notice the hash mark instead of the dollar sign. Now type what he said before with "dhcpcd eth0". Remember capitalization matters. Almost everything is lower case.
    Hye, i have just checked that command that given by you but i m still unable to do find the command and tell me simple that i have installed the linux cleanly on a system. It is simple i mean that it has no confiuration on it, just tell me how to connect to ISA Server. I have all the other network on win2k server. So plzz anybody who can help mein this way.

Linux User
    login as root and type

netconfig

it will ask if you want to setup networking, hit enter for yes, hit space to check the
    box that says "Use dynamic IP configuration (BOOTP/DHCP)", hit tab to move down to ok, hit enter to finish. Then type

service network restart

if you are unable to see the internet or if anything above fails do this:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0

and make sure you have a supported ethernet card, if you get nothing from that command we have to start somewehre else. If you info from it, paste it in here.
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    HI
    i am ubuntu 6.06 user. same is the problem with me i am behind a ISAserver ( my internet cable provider's system is using ISAserver) due to this i can not get internet from ubuntu. i tried a solution
    but it enabled only me to browse. i also want to chat and to connect my package manager to the repsitories there may also different type of connections to the internet can some one tell me the solution. i m using static ip not DHCP. as every pc in our network is allotted an ip address.
    Regards.
    True_Friend

Just Joined!